Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 different torque settings for the leaf to the shackles, Chilton's suggests 90 and Rough Country suggests 35??? I think I'll go to 50-60. U bolts state 65 for Rough Country...these are larger u bolts- will the same apply? Has anyone found a good setting?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I'd say to go with RC's because that's what you're installing, but 35 sounds like a typo... 90 is for the factory springs, but it seems like you're installing a RC lift.

60 sounds good. Are you going off of the Chilton's manual for Explorers or Wranglers?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're in the right ball park - I went about 60 ft-lbs with mine, with blue Loctite.

35 sounds way too light.

90 sounds way too heavy, which would give a rougher ride.
Sorry I wasn't too clear, 95 was for shackles! 90 was for u-bolt nuts! I'm assuming you meant 60 for shackle bolts?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say to go with RC's because that's what you're installing, but 35 sounds like a typo... 90 is for the factory springs, but it seems like you're installing a RC lift.

60 sounds good. Are you going off of the Chilton's manual for Explorers or Wranglers?
Chilton for wranglers. Yeah, 35 does seem a bit weak. That was on the instructions on line for the rough country lift.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sorry I wasn't too clear, 95 was for shackles! 90 was for u-bolt nuts! I'm assuming you meant 60 for shackle bolts?
Yes, what I did:

60 ft-lbs for shackles.

90-95 ft-lbs for the u-bolts

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
60 ft. lbs. sounds just right for the shackles. (spec is 95) Make sure to torque them with the full weight of the jeep on the ground.
90 sounds about right for the U-bolts. (spec is 90) They can be torqued anytime. Spec for the main eye bolt is 105 ft. lbs.

I strongly suggest using Neversieze on the threads just to make things easier the next time. I used chassis grease on the bushings just to prevent any sqawks or squeeks.
Retorque everything after a week or so or a after couple hundred miles.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts