Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to go down to Sears and pick up a torque wrench to check out my steering components and to use when I instal my lift. I can only afford one torque wrench right now. For those in the know, would you recommend a 3/8" or 1/2" for this application? I know bigger is better many times, but I also understand how difficult it can be to fit a bigger wrench into tight spaces.

thanks

glue

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What torque is the goal? I have both a 3/8 and 1/2" wrench. Each used for two different things. 75+ ft lbs I generally use the 1/2" and anything under I use the 3/8" easier to control the smaller on on lesser torque.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have both the 3/8" and 1/2" Craftsman beam-types. I mainly used the 1/2" for my suspension components because the 3/8” did not have the scale for the higher torquing required for some of the suspension components.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
Hijack :D

And would a DEWALT "electric" with 250 ft lbs of torque be sufficient for bolt removal?

Home depot has one for $260
Electric what?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am eyeballing a 3/8" with a range of 25-250, which will cover my needs. I am thinking the 3/8 may just be an easier size to get into smaller places.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just another heads up.... Make sure you have the necessary sockets for the wrench you get. A few of the larger sizes I've had to run out and get for my 3/8 wrench after I got home with the wrench lol.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
Hijack :D

And would a DEWALT impact gun "electric" with 250 ft lbs of torque be sufficient for bolt removal?

Home depot has one for $260
Ahhh you added words! Yea those are always handy! I keep a battery powered one to break lugs loose.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
Yep. That's all I want it for. Some of the air guns are 350+
But then I have to worry about a air supply.
I did not know they made electric guns.
I have a dewalt one, and got some nice impact sockets. It's really nice to have around. I think mines the 18V one? I haven't had it out in a while

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Kelsey73 said:
I have a dewalt one, and got some nice impact sockets. It's really nice to have around. I think mines the 18V one? I haven't had it out in a while
Good to know thank you

My stepfather has a SnapOn electric.
I may just ask him to borrow it :eek:
Will see how that goes lol

If not, I'll spring for the DEWALT, def a must have.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D I always use my 12v impact gun to run the nuts up-then "ONLY" torque them for the last install-also take on trail !

I use a KOBALT 50/250 lb torque wrench for all suspension lugs/LCAs/track bars/shocks/skid plates-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
You can get a 24V cordless impact driver from Pep Boys for $80. It's one of the best tools I have and makes tire rotation a breeze.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For removing-as others have said- a good cordless tq gun is nice and fast (don't over do it-too much tq and you'll start snapping heads off bolts)-for applying tq-3/8's is okay-but you're safer with a 1/2" when it comes to 90ft lbs and up-I've sheared off a couple nice 3/8's trying too hard ;)
Get the 1/2" and good sockets for it-tools are def something you build on and can pass down. Craftsman for the diy'r-matco or silver eagle for decent tech tools. Snap on if you really care what people think about you. Ad they'll say you spent too much under their breath ;)

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
daggo66 said:
You can get a 24V cordless impact driver from Pep Boys for $80. It's one of the best tools I have and makes tire rotation a breeze.
rockjock1 said:
For removing-as others have said- a good cordless tq gun is nice and fast (don't over do it-too much tq and you'll start snapping heads off bolts)-for applying tq-3/8's is okay-but you're safer with a 1/2" when it comes to 90ft lbs and up-I've sheared off a couple nice 3/8's trying too hard ;)
Get the 1/2" and good sockets for it-tools are def something you build on and can pass down. Craftsman for the diy'r-matco or silver eagle for decent tech tools. Snap on if you really care what people think about you. Ad they'll say you spent too much under their breath ;)
:thumb:

·
Registered
780 Posts
The comment about socket sizes is a good one to consider, my 3/8 drive sockets only go up to 16mm. 21mm sockets in a 3/8 drive are not something many may have. I picked up a 1/2 drive one for that reason.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought a 1/2 inch husky torque wrench a long time ago from home depot and its works great and keeps going. Never had an issue

·
Registered
505 Posts
OP: get the 1/2' TQ wrench, and make sure you have a 1/2 to 3/8 stepdown... for the smaller TQ's that you need to do you can judge pritty well if needed and it's more important to have the higher TQ's up to par then the lower TQ's a little over, so be safer then "sorryer" lol..

Jkeeper: THeir are some very well made elec. impact guns out their and would do great for most common jobs and are awsome to have around for quick jobs...... but!!! also know if you are getting into your suspention and underbody parts, many bolt and nuts are very rusted in and stuck and anything else you can think of.. ESP if you live up north and haveing the extra power of an air impact is always a blessing for me. I actually have 4 Impact guns believe it or not lol, a small and larger electric gun and a smaller and MASSIVE air gun.

just some things to keep in mind.. if its all you can afford and your only shot..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts