Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for experiences with the Torsen Type 2 diffs in the JK/JKU, and yes this is my first post, proud new owner of a gobi 2016 JKU anniversary

I'm looking at the Torsen differentials as found in the links below, which I think come well with my driving/wheeling habits: Gravel, sand. mud, mostly fast driving . Little to no rock climbing. I'm on 35x18s on Fuel wheels with 5.13 gears.

https://torsen.com/product/dana-30-high-numeric-3-2/
https://torsen.com/product/dana-44-3-92-t-2r/

This brand appears to be little popular among JKU owners (?!), any reason for that? I'm especially intrigued by the T-2R version for the rear with a TBR: 4:1/3:1 for Drive/Coast.

Any issues with installation? They appear to be more popular among older Dana 30 and 44 versions?

Thanks for your input. Steve.

·
Registered
702 Posts
From what I can discern this is a limited slip assembly, not an actual locker. I like it in the fact that it is clutchless.

What is your end use? Why are you interested in this assembly? Maybe the lack of interest stems from our desire to gravitate to an actual locker

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
Here's my opinion:

FIRST- there's no way I'd lock a D30 with 5.13s. The gears simply aren't big enough or strong enough to handle a locker

SECOND- It's my understanding the Jeep axle is a 44 in name only and parts are not interchangeable with traditional 44's. (which you have linked to) From WIKI: There is an 8.9" diameter Dana 44 ring and pinion that is very different from the standard Dana 44. This ring and pinion is significantly stronger with a better pinion to ring gear tooth contact patch and angle. It was typically used in the back of jeep JKs

FWIW I'm putting ARB lockers in our 2018 when it gets here. I have E-lockers in our 2014 and have helped install Eaton E lockers in a friends Jeep (I was very little help :))

Good luck!! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
The Gleeson Torsen Differential is basically the same design as the Eaton/Detroit TruTrac Clutchless Limited Slip differential.. I did a search and was unable to find a Torsen application for the JK D44..

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i have true-trac's (torsen style diffs) front and rear in my jku and i love them! they are nearly invisible when driving, they work automatically, and have damn near locker performance. i actually cant think of a time where a locker would have out performed the true-trac's when i have been wheeling. but then again, im not out there lifting a tire everywhere i go either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences - much appreciated! I agree that TrueTracs may be a good alternative for my application. I was hoping the Torsen T-2R to be more aggressive due to the higher Torque Bias Ratio, however apparently few if any are using it on a JK. Here is the response I got directly from Torsen today. I'm glad to share, this may be of general interest:

"...I cannot confirm the fitment (for the JK) at this time. I will need to acquire samples of the OEM components and compare them to our design in order to know. If you need to order parts immediately, then there is some risk that you'd be purchasing parts that will not fit directly. If you are willing to wait 5 or 6 weeks or so, I have plans to purchase comparison parts and can verify the fitment."

·
Registered
551 Posts
Torsen was great in my A4. Bout the only thing tho:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts