Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is an easy question for all you TJ gurus out there. I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler and I am trying to figure out what size Torx screws I need to hold down the latch to the floor that the tumble seat attaches to. The latch was missing when I purchased it, and I bought one. It didn't come with the 2 screws I need. I have been looking all over trying to find something that will tell me the correct size so I know what to order. Can someone please help? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If I remember correctly the latch is in the seat and connects to rails on the floor. The older style seats have a latch and large torx bolt on the wheel well to hold the back of the seat down.
I have a factory parts catalog on my iPad at home that I can take a look at if you can wait a few hours.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I'm confused and thought someone else would know better. I don't know if this is the fold and "tumble" front seat or the rear 3rd seat? What confuses me is that I have 4 brackets that mount to the floor. Each takes 2 screws. I do not have a latch that connects to the floor? I would think a 2004 would have the latch on the seat, like the 2003.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Found the bolt (#20 in picture) but apparently it is discontinued. Maybe you can take the part number to the dealer and ask the parts guys if they can see the size. Typically it gives me a size like #22 but this one did not. I can say that it is probably Metric and therefore could grab a couple sizes from the local hardware store and try to get lucky. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
my rear seat unlatches from the floor bracket. the bracket is what is needing the two screws. Thank you
There are two front and two rear brackets, right? 2 each of Pieces 18 and 19 in the provided diagram from Kota. What I'm confused about is if you only need 2, that leaves you with at least 6 more of the same bolt. I would take one of those out, go to a hardware store and ask them to help you get one with the same thread and as close to the same length as possible. You're going to end up with a hex head most likely, but doesn't matter.

Additionally, you could look around for ones you don't need anymore on the jeep that are the same thread size and use them. The diagram calls for 10, while 8 are used for the brackets. Not sure where the other two are. One maybe for the rear seat belts that anchor to the floor? I can't check till later, but there are some bolted down anchors near the tailgate that maybe you could take them out if they use the same bolts? Just thoughts.

Google the part number, I see they are available on ebay for $10.50 each (and only 2 left) from one buyer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAN-HEAD-SCREW-2003-2006-JEEP-WRANGLER-/252354184497

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for taking the time to research this. Your information has been very helpful. I didn't have the right socket to remove any of the other screws and I had originally thought it would be easier to find out so that's why I hadn't gotten around to taking any of the others out yet. But I order a mix of screws and the socket (or whatever you call it) to put them in. Hopefully, this will fix it. Now if i can just remember where I put the latch I ordered. ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts