Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep came with no torx tool. If it did, I missed it. Asked at the dealership and was informed I would need to purchase a torx set.

There are ones with varied sizes. What is the best torx set to get and with what sizes?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
This is the question that has plagued me for years. I've had moderate success with the black impact versions of torx bits from Harbor Freight. I think they're like $12-15 for the set. That said, even they are starting to round out a bit now. I think there's some really high end ones out there, just not sure where to get them.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I've got a set that fits on socket wrenches, T10-T60, and a fixed set (like screwdrivers) that's T10-T40.

The ones in my socket set vary from a 1/4" to a 1/2" drive. The fixed set comes in handy for things like adjusting your headlights w/out having to remove your grille, etc.

Buy an extra set for your Jeep, if you plan on wheeling in the stix.

Brand is up to you. Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Craftsman...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Like Kbwwolf says--getta set-

To the right of the chrome end wrenchs are a set of TORX screwdrivers and right of them are the 3/8" drive MM sockets and TORX sockets--many many uses forem-

Don't just buy one size #10 torx !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Yup. Depends on your budget and how much you use em. I like Craftsman, myself.

Here's what I got (or close, anyway...I bought mine in the store).

Craftsman

Craftsman

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I know Sears is the Craftsman store, but Lowe's is the closest to me. They may have Craftsman there. I will head out to Lowe's. Did not consider the price as the primary goal is to buy a quality product for when I need them.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D LOWES sells KOBALT tools and I've gotta lot, even my HD Torque wrench is KOBALT, along with my 3-ton hyd jack--pretty good stuff-

Thanks for the info. I know Sears is the Craftsman store, but Lowe's is the closest to me. They may have Craftsman there. I will head out to Lowe's. Did not consider the price as the primary goal is to buy a quality product for when I need them.
I don't know how their return policy i, cause I haven't taken anything back after 3 years !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
247 Posts
My set of Torx are Craftsman I enjoy their warranty, sold at any Sear's it's easy to replace them for free when I break my tools "misusing" them.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Lowes sales Kobalt, saying that Craftsman and Kobalt are made by the same company Danaher Tools which used to be the old Easco Tool company. You can even take the guts out of a kobalt ratchet and put in craftsmans guts, they are exactly the same internally. Also Napa, Armstrong, Allen, Matco, and Gearwrench are made by Danaher

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lowes in my area was a disappointment. Hardly had any torx tools. Sent me to Advanced Auto. Purchased a set of AUTOCRAFT 6 piece set T10-T40. I am sure one of these will get the hard top panels off. I will wait until I hit a Sears and get a set to use with the wrench/socket set. Thanks for all the helpful information.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Also ACE store here sells Craftsman. Price was good, quality; great! You must have a set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts