Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I replace the torx bolts in my jeep with?

Also where can I find replacement bolts? Hardware store? Estimate on how much each would cost?

I need the windshield hinge ones, and the ones for the rollbar.
Also almost all the torx on my jeep are ****ed up, I had to hammer a bigger torx bolt into 90% of them and pray it would turn.

I was thinking an allen head? Again it needs to be a flat top, unless someone has used bolts and the heads sticking out looked good.

Something that isn't likely to strip and easy to remove.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't stand torx... I can't take them off without scratching the paint on them, and Everytime I do try and get them they usually just strip, even while using PB buster...
Do they sell deeper torx heads? Mine seem like their not strong because only the tip of the torx head goes in. Their stock.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Torx are junk no matter what....I'd like to find the inventor and kick him in the jimmy. I usually use regular hex head bolts (stainless or G8). That way if you or anyone else has to take it back apart you actually can. If you have a TSC locally you can get G8 ones by the pound.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torx are junk no matter what....I'd like to find the inventor and kick him in the jimmy. I usually use regular hex head bolts (stainless or G8). That way if you or anyone else has to take it back apart you actually can. If you have a TSC locally you can get G8 ones by the pound.
Tractor Supply Co. i'm guessing?

I checked their site and can't find anything on the hex bolts, just tons of u bolts.
I tried searching g8 on the site too and found nothing.

I have one about 20mins away.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's not that Torx are bad, it's just that they're all made of such cheap metal. They just crumble when you go to turn one. I have steadily been replacing them on my Jeep with stainless. Go to the smaller stores like, ACE Hardware because they'll let you buy just one or two at a time if that is what you need. They usually run between $.25 to $1.25 depending on the size.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Trust me TSC will have the bolts you need, I get um there all the time. They will have an entire isle full of bolts in bins. I call grade 8 bolts G8's, and they have them as well. No way I would buy one bolt at a time when you can buy um for 3 bucks or so a pound.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me TSC will have the bolts you need, I get um there all the time. They will have an entire isle full of bolts in bins. I call grade 8 bolts G8's, and they have them as well. No way I would buy one bolt at a time when you can buy um for 3 bucks or so a pound.
Are they flat topped? Like the stock ones?

I'm talking about how they blend into the vehicle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you use an impact wrench on them they'll come out without dammage. You also need to lubercate them before reinstalling them.
I've tried that, worked on some and the others it would jump off of it even with my 185lb self leaning on the impact.

Then it would scratch the hell out of wherever the bolt was.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and I used Anti-seize on everything I put back on.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
If you use an impact wrench on them they'll come out without dammage. You also need to lubercate them before reinstalling them.
You must be from someplace where there is no rust lol I'm on my 27th snap on torx in 6 months.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You must be from someplace where there is no rust lol I'm on my 27th snap on torx in 6 months.
got any pictures of them nuts on the hinges?
How far do they stick out, and jeeper to jeeper do they look good?
I'll put torx back on, but if it looks good all the better to switch over.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yeah the person who had my YJ before me replaced some of the torx heads w/ G8 hex heads. i dont think it looks too bad and they only stick out about a 1/4". Im prob just gonna do all of them.

what size torx is that anyway??

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah the person who had my YJ before me replaced some of the torx heads w/ G8 hex heads. i dont think it looks too bad and they only stick out about a 1/4". Im prob just gonna do all of them.

what size torx is that anyway??
T-35 I think.

And I decided to go with alan heads, that are flat topped like the torx. Look more less likely to strip. Perfect fit too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
hex head grade 8 with anti-seize used at install is the best thing to replace every bolt
you pull out .
you can go wheeling for years in harsh conditions and know that if you have to remove a bolt again it will come right out just like they should.
when i did my frame off restore of my 53 cj3b i used all grade 8 and stainless.
yes they cost more and adding anti-seize on every bolt takes time but not as much time as a broken bolt takes to remove if you don't .

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you want to stop a heart look at own replacement bolts. Check napa they carry many bolts that could replace the torex bolts. My wife works at a shop that sells machine shop supplies. I gave her the windshield bracket bolts and she found some exact replacements for $.25 each. I'm sure they are not the same strength but they worked. Also brought home ones to attach mirror bracket to half doors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts