Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been interested in wranglers. It was the first vehicle I ever drove and is one of my best memories. I have an opportunity to purchase an '88 YJ with the inline 6. It has approx. 128K on it with a re-done manual tranny. Upon a brief first inspection I found no body rust which is the only problem I am familiar with. For $2000 it comes with both soft and hard top and both hard and soft doors. Is this too much to pay, and if not, what should I be aware of with this old girl?

·
Registered
395 Posts
in my opinion sounds good, maybe to good, how is the frame any rust near frame and where bumper meet, front and rear? they are known for that. if it doesnt, thats pretty low miles and if frame and body and engine check out sounds like :punk:a good deal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oil leaks, you could get under there and check the driveshafts(grab them and make sure they dont wiggle), I would drive it, make sure the steering and shifting feels good. If it all checks out, it sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It sounds like a good deal. I would buy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
x3 for checking underneath. I would take a hammer and give the frame a couple of soft licks in several places to check and see if it is solid and not rusted through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts