Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all, so this past weekend, I unfortunately totaled my tj. I had come around a turn, the road was a little slick, and when I gave it a little gas I immediately fishtailed, tried keeping it on the road, ended up going into a ditch front end first and spun around. Thankfully I was able to walk away with a bloody nose and a couple bruises, and little neck pain. Unfortunately, my Jeep is 95% sure totaled. I can tell body mounts are bent, frame is bent, front left is crumpled a bit, and the grill and hood are messed up. Steering rods are bent and there’s a few places I can put my fingers where I shouldn’t be able to.

So my insurance adjuster is coming to look at it today and determine if it’s totaled. It’s an 02 tj x, leather seats, hardtop and soft top , I’ve got multiple upgrades including stinger bumper and side steps(smittybuilt). It just hit 100k miles and was overall in great shape. I’m hoping to get at least 9-10k out of it if it’s totaled. Is that reasonable? And if they only offer lower amounts, with no ability to offer more, can I take off my extras like the bumper and side steps? Bodywork alone will cost like $2500 to fix(as quoted by my detail manager at the shop I work at)

Funnily enough, the stinger bumper did its job and there’s not a single scratch or bend in that thing lol

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can I buy your passenger side mirror? Those suckers are hard to come by.

Also, does your insurance company know about all the upgrades? I added additional coverage for everything I did. I recently flopped and had to work with them. They valued it at almost $13k because I had the add-ons covered. Cut me a check for almost $6k for repairs no questions asked. He said that had I not had the add-ons covered it would have been valued much lower and may have been totaled.

That looks totaled to me and you might get close to what you are wanting. You won't be able to take anything off. You can buy back the totaled vehicle and part out after. That may help you recover more.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Settle the claim and buy it back then part it out for additional cash. I would be surprised if the frame is bent. How fast were you going? Looks like alot of front end sheet metal damage....hard to see if she got into the tub. Insurance will definitely total it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was going about 20mph through the turn, gave it a little gas after and that’s when I immediately fishtailed. Tons of body work would be needed on it. Insurance adjuster just looked at it and determined it’s totaled(no $ amount offer yet). So if it’s cheap enough, I’ll definitely buy it back and part it out!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
That sucks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whats your plan for the next vehicle? or are you going to buy this one back, if you get the amount you wanter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! So as it now stands, I’ll be getting 9k for the totaled wrangler(exactly what I paid when I bought it a year ago, and 16,000 miles ago). I had them add in the values of the mods I had done and that’s how we arrived at the number, first number they had thrown out was $8,200(higher than I expected out of the gate). So from here I’m getting that check(will be 7k after they pay the loan off) I’ll be putting that towards my next TJ. I’ll be getting it for $9500 and it’s waaaaay better than mine so I’m a happy camperI’ll put the link for it!

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/hackettstown-2001-jeep-wrangler-sport/6962417763.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts