Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Wednesday in an attempt to not hit some deer I caught a tree with my passenger side front wheel. Cracked the axle shaft, broke the quick disconnects, bent the tie rod (I think), coil spring is unseated, etc. etc. etc.

So now I'm looking for a used Unlimited, probably 2016 or newer but wouldn't be against a 2015. My question is, are there any years I should stay away from? Any years that have specific problems I need to know about? Any and all input is helpful Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I'm not a huge fan of the JLs but I've seen they got some pretty good reviews. Anyone have input on the JLs?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look very close at the price difference between late model and new Wranglers. Unless you find a heck of a good deal on a used one, Wranglers hold there value very well and you may be surprised at how close the prices are between new and late model. If you are financing, you may be able to get better rates and terms on new, making the jump to new even easier.

Just food for thought...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IA Dan, thanks. The pricing of the new JLs is kind of the only reason I'd really consider one, especially compared to prices of used JKs.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Also, I'm not a huge fan of the JLs but I've seen they got some pretty good reviews. Anyone have input on the JLs?
Drive one of each, then decide which one you want to further your search on JK vs JL.

I love the way JL looks, but after driving one I went JK

·
Registered
403 Posts
An aftermarket axle upgrade isn’t an option? Sounds like most of your damage could be swapped with a PR44 or similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have a '15 JK Rubicon and I love it. I'd buy it all over again. I have 86,000 trouble free miles on it so far. But, if I could afford a new JL Rubicon I'd have one. There are too many improvements to ignore.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
What is your price range?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
From a lot of what I've read, I'd stay away from 12s and 13s. Those seem to be the years that have the most problems with radiators, heater cores and such.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,055 Posts
First thing I do before looking at vehicles is to set a maximum limit I'm going to spend. Way to easy to fall in love with something thousands more then you want to pay. Now if you're independently wealthy of course it doesn't matter and you simply buy what you like.

I searched for about 4 months before finding my 2016 JKU and it was worth the search. I wanted low mileage, one owner and something in almost perfect condition. Finally found almost exactly what I wanted for 18k from a private sale off Craigs List. Yes I know I got a excellent deal. Had I not kept searching I would have probably paid 5 or 6 grand more for a JKU with many more miles (this had 25k). There are always good deals if you have patience to keep looking. I am fortunate in that I have almost new F150 that's my daily transportation so I could wait for the right deal.

If you can, consider a manual trans as they are usually priced considerably less then an auto. It was one of the main reasons I was able to buy mine for what I paid. The seller had lots of lookers but none really wanted the manual trans hence my getting a attractive price. Good luck in your search.

·
No Whining now....
255 Posts
From a lot of what I've read, I'd stay away from 12s and 13s. Those seem to be the years that have the most problems with radiators, heater cores and such.
Even though I have a 13, the mods that came with it have made it worth it. Considering that I put a new engine in, I now have a Jeep that would likely cost in excess of $70,000 new for about half that.

Problem was with the cam sensors etc..

At least it sounds like you're okay (not injured).

No whining now...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
...and 14's

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I love my 15, but it also puked the radiator at 60k. It had a leak (albeit so small a pressure test couldn't find it but i could smell it since I bought it at 38ish k.)

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
OP - it sounds as if there is no body or frame damage that you have mentioned. Mostly axle and suspension for which parts are readily available. Although you did not mention airbag deployment, that would be the reason the insurance company would total.

Of course, it's also an opportunity to upgrade the Jeep into a newer one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you'd consider new, Jeep is advertising "employee pricing" and giving examples with six grand discounts. Not sure if that gets a JL down low enough to consider and of course, it has to be on the lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts