Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting one of those touch screen radios that are 9 inch screens or similar.

From what I saw online, one part of installation of those radios requires taking off the original radio panel along with dash board of driver side and cutting the radio panel off. Then putting the driver dash board back on and then covering the new radio with the new panel.

My question is after cutting and installing the new radio, at any point does the driver's side dash board start to rattle or make any kind of annoyance (new noise) that was not there before installation/modification to the factory radio? or did anyone notice any kind new issue when driving with or without radio on?

Thanks for any advice!!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My question is after cutting and installing the new radio, at any point does the driver's side dash board start to rattle or make any kind of annoyance (new noise) that was not there before installation/modification to the factory radio? or did anyone notice any kind new issue when driving with or without radio on?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Are you asking specifically about the Alpine Restyle series of radios? They don't have any issues with rattling if the install is done right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my Jeep in December and it had already had the Restyle installed. Its a brand New jeep and the unit rattles beyond annoyance! Is it safe to say they messed something up and I should bring it in to be fixed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To MKEOLove

Since I originally posted the thread back last year, I did purchase the Alpine Restyle X109 model and this is what I noticed.

I had it professionally installed back in Aug 2017 by a car audio place. The guy installed it in front of me as we chatted in the garage.

There is not much empty space in the audio unit crevice after the Alpine is installed. But keep in mind that there are a lot of wires and a plastic IData Maestro Module and Sirius XM module that can rattle or bounce as you drive over potholes and bumps. After I drove off, I did notice more noise coming from the unit but I want to say that it was more from the Alpine bezel (the cover) because it was brand new and the dashboard of the JKU is somewhat curved so rubbing (or as I like to call it "breaking in" processing is happening). After a few months, that bezel noise did subside and is not noticeable now. However, when I drive over the railroad or other rough surface (for example) it does rattle but not to the point of annoyance (but maybe I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me).

But as jkudave said, take it back to the guys that installed it and tell em about the issue. Maybe they can tie down the wires and the modules. I personally wouldn't recommend putting any padding in there to absorb the rattling coz the Alpine unit gets pretty hot/warm when in use (you don't want it to be set afire accidently).

And after you take it back, please repost on this thread with an update with what they did and how it is after coz Id like to know if I can make mine even more quiet.

Hope this helps!!!

P.S. I just want to say and advise you the following coz it happened to my Alpine X109 (so it might happen to yours too). Back in December 2017, I was no longer able to control the unit from the steering wheel and when I turned off the car/engine (got out of the car with keys in my hand!!), the radio was still playing (yes, you read that correctly!!!). I would unplug the battery cable and then plug it back in and it worked but only temporarily (believe me you'll get annoyed at that every time). So what you will have to do is take off the bezel and take out the IData Maestro module and have it "reflashed" via the flashing website. (that's what the customer service agent for Alpine advised). I did it myself coz the guy at the shop wanted to charge me!!! **** that and I did it myself... yea it was a mission but it was a matter of principle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you! Lots of good info! I'll keep ya posted whenever I find time to take it in there! I'm kind of pissed about the satellite radio that came with my wrangler for a year but the installer didn't put the $49 satellite part in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys! So I took the jeep in for the rubbing noise and it was not resolved :/ going to try again. Will keep you posted on the second try!

G

·
Check if there is plastic to plastic rub on the side of the trim panels, like where the trim physically meets and touches the OEM dash. If there is or if you get a rattle or rub noise while driving and you touch the radio and it goes away that may be it too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, when I push down on the top at the front of the little tray the noise goes away! Does this mean it isn't tight enough? I think I'm just going to have to fix the problem myself. I just can't see spending 45k on something and having it rattle like an old clunker!

G

·
Yes, when I push down on the top at the front of the little tray the noise goes away! Does this mean it isn't tight enough? I think I'm just going to have to fix the problem myself. I just can't see spending 45k on something and having it rattle like an old clunker!
Maybe a small, small piece of rubber or even just something to keep it quiet to isolate it, like just a few pieces here and there between the trim and oem dash? I only noticed the issue once in a customer build that he brought back for more work and mentioned it to him and he said he did not care, it was super annoying though. So we have not had to troubleshoot that yet. Also check that everything is tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts