Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to tow a Wrangler on a tow Dolly? I normally jut disconnect the rear drive shaft and go. I was wondering if it would damage anything if I leave the driveshaft on and just put the tranny and T case in netural?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
For flat towing you put the transfer case in neutral and leave the transmission in gear

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you are going to use a tow dolly you must disconnect the rear driveshaft. The rotation of the front driveshaft is what helps pump the fluid through the transfer case. If the rear is spinning and the front is not the transfer case can over heat and cause damage.

Best option is to flat tow or remove the rear driveshaft and use the dolly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going to use a tow dolly you must disconnect the rear driveshaft. The rotation of the front driveshaft is what helps pump the fluid through the transfer case. If the rear is spinning and the front is not the transfer case can over heat and cause damage.

Ok thanks man, I'll just pop it off then. I appreciate the input..

·
Knows a couple things...
49,018 Posts

No, not really. As recommended above and by the Owner's Manual and Factory Service Manual, the correct way to flat tow or to tow on a dolly is to shift the transmission into gear or Park, and shift the transfer case into neutral. Neither the transmission nor the transfer case is spinning in this configuration.

There is no (!) need to disconnect the front or rear driveshaft using this factory specified towing procedure. :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No, not really. As recommended above and by the Owner's Manual and Factory Service Manual, the correct way to flat tow or to tow on a dolly is to shift the transmission into gear or Park, and shift the transfer case into neutral. Neither the transmission nor the transfer case is spinning in this configuration.

There is no (!) need to disconnect the front or rear driveshaft using this factory specified towing procedure. :)
Would this be the same owners manual that recommends a tranny fluid that causes your syncros to fail :whistling:

Regardless of where you have the transfer case shifted the rear driveshaft is still rotating. I would take 5 minutes and just remove it to be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tow Dolly

Where can I find instructions on how to disconnect the drive shaft for a 99 wrangler manual transmission. Were moving to Colorado and need to tow it using a car dolly. Does anyone know of any instructional videos?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Where can I find instructions on how to disconnect the drive shaft for a 99 wrangler manual transmission. Were moving to Colorado and need to tow it using a car dolly. Does anyone know of any instructional videos?
Youtube has lots of video's. :thumb:

·
Registered
705 Posts
So what you're saying is that all the jeep owners that have done the manual locking hub conversion are overheating their transfer cases and damaging them? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts

i have a 2010 jeep wrangler , with auto and use tow dolly now for 6yrs and maybe 6000 miles and just put transfer case in neutral and tranny in park and no problem yet, now i have a 2021 gladiator and was wondering the same could be done, but manual says flat tow only, any help out there on this one

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
64,904 Posts
i have a 2010 jeep wrangler , with auto and use tow dolly now for 6yrs and maybe 6000 miles and just put transfer case in neutral and tranny in park and no problem yet, now i have a 2021 gladiator and was wondering the same could be done, but manual says flat tow only, any help out there on this one
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,018 Posts
They're recommending flat tow only to prevent the tcase from seeing high rpms at its output shaft and zero rpms at its input shaft when the front axle is on a tow dolly. Disco'ing one end of the rear driveshaft, supporting it with straps etc., would do the same thing when the front is on a tow dolly.

·
Registered
99 Wrangler TJ (Mostly Stock)
1 Posts
If your Wrangler has the original front axel (no hubs), and you want to support the front on a dolly, removing the rear shaft will keep the entire power train safe.

But if you wish, you can also flat tow a Wrangler TJ with a towbar by leaving the trans in gear, shifting the transfer case into neutral, and turning the key to the first position and removing it.

Of course both methods requires aux tail lights. I flat towed mine 1,500 miles a couple yrs ago, and both methods work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts