Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Sport S Wrangler and I thought it would come with a trailer hitch receiver on the back. I thought all Jeep Wranglers had that, but they don't and mine don't (I know, the correct verb is doesn't). So I see there are aftermarket receiver hitches that I can buy for around $100 complete with the wiring. Is it safe to add one of those and tow up to the vehicle weight limits? It looks pretty simple. Can a rookie add it pretty safely or should I pay a mechanic or the dealer to do it? Or is the add on hitch idea crazy?

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Definitely a do it yourself project.
4 bolts that go through a frame cross member.
You may have to loosen the bumper bolts to gain a little wiggle room, but you should be OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you choose to install a light harness, that is also very easy and is accessed by removing a tail light cover. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

If you need a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes, Mopar has a plug 'n play kit as well, but this kit has a 4 pin for small utility or boat trailers.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's one of the wonders of Jeeps: a trailer hitch costs a whopping $75, including harness. On my other vehicle I had to pay over a grand for essentially the same thing. Welcome to the Jeep world of self-wrenching!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Here you go.
JK hitch kit
Probably find something cheaper, but this kit is really convenient

1 - 11 of 11 Posts