Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang, doing my first trail ride this weekend and need tow hooks.

My thinking was to mount tow hooks to front bumper and then use the receiver for:
Smittybilt 7610 - Smittybilt 2" Receiver Tow Hook - Quadratec

Question (searched but the threads that came up all had broken picture links) which front tow hooks are recommended that bolt right in without modification? Seems that nobody has installation instructions that I could find.

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Your tow hooks should be tied to the frame directly. If your rear bumper has your receiver hitch make sure it is tied to the frame not just to the rear cross member. If you have an actual rear receiver hitch mounted to the frame you should be fine with the tow hook in the receiver hitch.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I be better of with a different rear tow hook option?

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Otto, my TJ is getting a quick inspection by a local jeep guru but thought it was mounted to the frame. Will verify later.

Can I pickup these tow hooks at local Jeep dealerships or auto parts stores?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You could probably get them at wither place or online. It depends on how soon you need them. Where are you headed to 'wheel?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Otto, I'm heading to Badlands with Fox River Jeep dudes and dudettes in Attica, IN this Saturday! Gonna be my first wheelin' experience!!

Mulvihill64, that'd be great, thanks! There's a HF 20 minutes away!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am heading North to the Jeep Jamboree in Mole Lake WI. Badlands is on my list of things to do too. I live in the Milwaukee area. Have fun. You will learn a lot by being out there and from others.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am heading North to the Jeep Jamboree in Mole Lake WI. Badlands is on my list of things to do too. I live in the Milwaukee area. Have fun. You will learn a lot by being out there and from others.
Thanks! Let me know when you go!

I'm very excited about the trip!

Also, I heard there is done wheelin around Kettle Moraine. Know anything about that? I used to bike the John Muir trails and that is a great area.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a cool option if they receiver hitch won't work right!

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
i have read a few bad things about using a receiver hitch for a recovery point.

btw, nice to see some more local guys, you'll love the badlands

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have read a few bad things about using a receiver hitch for a recovery point.

btw, nice to see some more local guys, you'll love the badlands
Indeed it is! Feeling luck over here! Just realized, you are close by too! Howdy, neighbor!

I did search around on the receiver hitch and it seems like most folks like them. Didn't find any bad press but there may be plenty posts Google didn't find. Hmmmm

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've used my D-ring receiver multiple times to haul people out or get hauled out, much better set-up than the hook is.

Warn Part 29312 - Receiver Shackle Bracket
Thanks, StumpHumper. Is yours receiver hitch attached to your frame or cross-member?

I've tried googling that since I'm waaaaay out of practice with mechanical stuff and cannot tell why only attached to crossmember would be a problem. TJ cross members are metal tubes attached to frame so I would have assumed it'd be fine for recovery since it's okay for towing.

So maybe someone can shed light so I can get smarter?

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
If you tow a vehicle you are towing only the weight of the vehicle. If you are stuck in mud or wedged in a crevice then the weight you are towing become many times higher. Tow traps are "beefy" when they can tow more than twice the weight of the vehicle. But a recovery strap frequently tops 25,000-30,000 pounds in what it can pull.

That should tell you that to recover a vehicle you will possibly put 30,000 pounds of pulling force on the strap, cable, hook, D ring, clevis or receiver.

That also goes for the bumper.

The plate that is welded to the ends of the frame rails is not stout and can tear free along with the bumper, turing the bumper into a very large and very dangerous missile that can kill or maim someone.

That is because you are putting *all* of that force on the welds between the frame rails and the plate (crossmember) and not on the frame itself.

Frame tie-ins simply spread the load away from those welds and on to the frame rails, making for a much stronger pulling point.

An example of frame tie-ins would be these here. Many use the same system of bolting the crossmember holes to the frame rail holes.

If you tug hard on the bumper with these, the load goes from the bumper to the crossmember to the frame on both sides of the vehicle. It is very strong and can take these sometimes very stout pulls needed to yank a jeep out of mud or a hole. Remember that you are not simply pulling it along, you are FREEING it from something that is holding it in place.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts