Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question, tow hooks or D-rings?
I go off roading on the weekends and always have tow rope and chains with me, along with a Hi-Lift and my uncles Silverado. So, I am deciding whether it would be better to get Tow hooks or D-rings for my TJ, just in case.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Just to play devils advocate here.... (cause that's my job :)) I didn't read the link bubba posted, but feel compelled to mention that D-rings wiggle loose, and need to be checked regularly if you don't want to loose them, or else you leave them off until you're offroad and hope it doesn't wiggle off while you're wheeling.... :( Tow hooks, not so much. Both are functional, and while I understand and agree with the reasoning for D-rings over hooks, I just want you to be aware of the downside to rings. My buddy spent at least an hour scouring the ORV park one evening looking for his lost D-ring after it wiggled loose on the trails.... :( Even though I knew that, I bought a shackle for my husband's Jeep for his birthday this year, while my TJ wears her stock tow hooks... :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
I never leave my shackles attached, their banging into the bumper on bumps/dips drives me crazy. I thought I busted something major once on a very tough trail, I must have checked under my Jeep 3-4X looking for it while driving until I discovered I had forgotten to remove them after having needed them for someone. They were banging on every bump and dip and made me think my axle was ready to fall out. :D

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
You can keep your D-Rings/Shackles from coming apart with a zip tie.

:) Very good point Nekkid! I'll have to make sure I get one on his if he gets home with it... No way in heck he's gonna take it off and put it on every time he needs it.... Tho' I agree that would be the best way to do things. His fits in the hitch receiver, so nothing for it to bang against. I can understand how one banging against the bumper would make you crazy in no time. :zap: ;)

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I just let my d-shackles rust on... they never come off that way. I leave them on all the time, no banging. I should probably anti seaze them again soon...

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Both!!

This photo was taken just after I finished fitting the tube front fenders. They're now painted and reinstalled, as well as 2.5" round amber turn signals mounted in the grille CJ style....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts