Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.I have a 1999 tj and i am looking to add a few tow hooks to the jeep. I have already seen the thread about mounting the hook to the rear frame where there is an existing hole already. I am looking to get 4 hooks and have them on all sides. SO.. hopefully i can do the rear easily. My question is am i able to mount the tow hooks onto the front bumper where there is the hex head screws holding the bumper to frame. there is the rubber stopper on front of the bumper that the hook would have to be able to clear.
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would recommend getting the mounts you can hook D-rings to. Much safer than hooks. One club I wheel with won't let you run with tow hooks.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by rubber stoppers, so you might have to post a pic. This a pic (via Google) of the hooks that bolt into the frame.

These bolt right in:
10,000 Lb. Capacity Tow Hook Kit

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would recommend getting the mounts you can hook D-rings to. Much safer than hooks. One club I wheel with won't let you run with tow hooks.
Usually that means the metal hooks on the tow strap, not the vehicle. These are dangerous:

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
if your talking about the rubber mini bumper on the front of the steel bumper.. most of us just take those off.. if you have to have them by code.. then you could just use a few washers to make up the height, or cut a small area out of the mini bumper to fit the hook body.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
hey guys.I have a 1999 tj and i am looking to add a few tow hooks to the jeep. I have already seen the thread about mounting the hook to the rear frame where there is an existing hole already. I am looking to get 4 hooks and have them on all sides. SO.. hopefully i can do the rear easily. My question is am i able to mount the tow hooks onto the front bumper where there is the hex head screws holding the bumper to frame. there is the rubber stopper on front of the bumper that the hook would have to be able to clear.
Thanks for the help!!
I have the same hooks pictured and they work fine with the rubber bumperetts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
After market hooks will just compress those bumper pads. Just snug them all the way down, don't use any washers or spacers. OEM style hooks don't stick out forward of the bumper.

Normally rear is only a hook on the drivers side. Passenger side has the exhaust which can get in the way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok. Thanks for the help guys. they look very similar to the picture above posted by Dextreme. Except they do not have the metal stopper on the open side of the hook which i actually think are a great idea to prevent a slip. I may have to figure out how to fab some of those or if you know where to get them. And perfect. I was thinking that i might have to pull that mini bumper (bumperette) off to fit the hook on but like stated i will attempt to snug it in

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
next step is your recovery strap, most places only sell tow straps, which are dangerous when used improperly.

kinetic recovery straps are a great option

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey again guys. So I got my hooks and installed one on the bumper. They are Keeper tow hooks with a max load of 10000lbs. A few questions.. I was only able to put a but on the on bolt closest to the body. The other end of the bolt is not visable and can't get a but on it. They threaded on pretty tight. Also I was told to use grade 8 hardware/bolts but the keeper hook came with grade 5(which are in the picture) could anyone lend some insight on that. And lastly I used the to small washers/spacers between the hook and the bumper so it had a bit more clearance over that rubber bumper. Thanks for the help !! Can't wait to try them out ??

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts