Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my 2004 jeep on the beach this year.
How many tow hooks do i have to buy and where are they mounted front or back

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had one on the rear that mounted under the frame. It was rugged ridge i believe. You can put two on the front. You should be fine on the beach, but always have at least one recovery point. Lots of people air down for the beach, don't gun it and always roll to a stop. Be aware for holes/trenches that have been filled over with soft sand.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,689 Posts
All TJ's came with 2 hooks on the front and one frame mounted hook on the rear.
If you have a 2" receiver on your '04, you can buy a receiver shackle and use that as a rear recovery point if your rear hook isn't there.
I have 5 recovery points on my '02, but I have aftermarket bumpers with shackle mounts and a pintle hook in my hitch

-Chris

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,689 Posts
No they didn't, that was strictly up to the ordering Jeep dealer. I purchased mine brand-new and there were no tow hooks anywhere.
Thanks for the correction Jerry...all the ones I've seen have had tow hooks on them. They could have been installed after purchase or by a previous owner. Or like you said, as a dealer option.
I learn new things every day :thumb:
-Chris

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Keep in mind if you install front tow hooks they are ment for you be used to help you get pulled out not you pulling someone out while in reverse.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Keep in mind if you install front tow hooks they are ment for you be used to help you get pulled out not you pulling someone out while in reverse.
Why?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just put two front tow hooks on my daughter's 2002 TJ Sport yesterday. Ordered them from Morris 4X4. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Because the axle gears aren't set up to pull as hard in the reverse direction.
Good info. I will change my method of yanking my buddies out now. Thanks Jerry.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You can get front hooks that fit perfectly in the mount holes from Northern Tool for about $6 each and are 10k rated. Used stock rear hooks can be found on this website or Craigslist for about $10-$15.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All TJ's came with 2 hooks on the front and one frame mounted hook on the rear.
If you have a 2" receiver on your '04, you can buy a receiver shackle and use that as a rear recovery point if your rear hook isn't there.
I have 5 recovery points on my '02, but I have aftermarket bumpers with shackle mounts and a pintle hook in my hitch

-Chris
No they dont

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts