Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have want is probably a dumb question, but I thought since I wasn't sure I'd ask. I just bought a pair of black front tow hooks for my TJ. It came with two black tow hooks, two black bolts, and two silver washers. My question is where do the washers go? If I put them between the tow hooks and the bolts they'll look off because the color difference between the bolts, hooks, and washers. Then if I put the washers between the hooks and the bumper that won't work either. So what do I do with the washers? Do I even need to use them?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I replaced my factory recovery hooks for some aftermarket ones because the factory ones would not fit with the winch plate I mounted on the bumper. Neither ones had, or have washers, they are flush mounted to the bumper, with no washer, anywhere. I used the factory black torque head bolts for the replacement hooks, and they look, and work great.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Are they lock washers? If so, they go on top of the hooks to try to keep the bolts from backing out. If not, you most likely can just pitch them as they are mostly to keep the bolts from marring the surface of the towhooks. If the holes are machined too large in the hooks, however, you should use the washers (paint them) to make sure that the work is distributed evenly through the hooks and the bolt heads aren't pulled through the hook...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope they're not lock washers, just regular old washers. And the holes are not too big for the hex bolts that came with it which is why it had me confused. I think I'm just going to pitch them. thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts