Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need to install tow hooks? I'm a little hesitant to buy them for $30+...Is there any other safe way of attaching a rope to pull someone or my self out of a snowdrift or mud puddle?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
$30 isn't what I'd call expensive especially if it's going to save your ass. It's a ton cheaper than calling a tow truck seeing how they won't go into the trail to rescue you.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Have you checked CL and ebay for stock takeoffs? I haven't priced them, since mine came with them, but yeah, it's a small price for a secure tow point...... Heck your recovery strap will cost more.... :)

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
jeepjones said:
$30 isn't what I'd call expensive especially if it's going to save your ass. It's a ton cheaper than calling a tow truck seeing how they won't go into the trail to rescue you.
Completely agree. I ended up spending on $100 on basic recovery gear: tow hook, locking pin, D link, 30ft snatch strap.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Tow hooks bolt to the frame and only frame-mounted recovery points are safe to use for vehicle recoveries. Whatever you install, make sure it is bolted to the frame. Personally, I recommend you install at least one tow hook front and rear, two front and rear are even better.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I think I'll get the front tow hooks. Where do you mount the rear tow hooks though Jerry?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Alright I think I'll get the front tow hooks. Where do you mount the rear tow hooks though Jerry?
Like this...

You only need to drill one hole, the other hole already exists. Do NOT (!!!) drill through both sides of the frame, the washers and nuts go inside the frame (yes). There is a small opening underneath the frame you can fish the washers and nuts up into to attach to the bolts.

Through-bolting the frame would just start a never-ending cycle of the frame collapsing as you continually retighten the tow hook bolts as they loosen due to the frame being squeezed together by through-bolting it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing, definitely going to do that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've done the one that Jerry posted, I found the same hook at a couple stores for about $10, few dollars for grade 8 hardware because I didn't trust the bolts that came with it and you can have yourself a rear tow hook for under $15.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
I picked up a set of Factory "take offs" from a local Off Road shop. You could also check craigslist and ebay. The rear bolts to the frame using one existing bumper bolt and you need one additional bolt/nut/washer. Getting the nut in the frame was a little tricky but only took a few tries to get it started. Just another option. Pic is not the greatest, wet snow is really pouring down right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first post on the WF

Like this...

You only need to drill one hole, the other hole already exists. Do NOT (!!!) drill through both sides of the frame, the washers and nuts go inside the frame (yes). There is a small opening underneath the frame you can fish the washers and nuts up into to attach to the bolts.

Through-bolting the frame would just start a never-ending cycle of the frame collapsing as you continually retighten the tow hook bolts as they loosen due to the frame being squeezed together by through-bolting it. :)
Or you could cut a small piece of conduit or pipe to act as a spacer that will help the frame rail maintain it's shape, gain the strength of the full rail and avoid torque'ing the single side out on a pull that isn't straight. I'd be sure to use washers on both ends of the spacer to avoid wear from friction against the frame.

Hope that was clear enough.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
Jeepers have been attaching the rear tow hook to just one side of the frame for many, many years without any problem. Afterall, the main items attached to the frame like body mounts, shock mounts, control arm mounts, motor mounts, etc. are welded to just one side of the frame, right? Plus, how would you get a spacer inside the frame that was the exact length needed to fit perfectly between the two inside walls so they couldn't be pulled closer together? You could insert it up through the slot but you couldn't turn it so it'd fit where it needed to be. You'd have to drill a big enough hole to insert it from the side and weld it into place like RE does for their long control arm mounts which is a PITA. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts