Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions for mounting tow hooks on the front bumper (97 tj SE) Guessing where those torx bolts are so its tied to the frame (would think bumper is not strong enough)

also any way to use my rear hitch for a recovery point without buying a hook or d ring sleeve (i was told that the pin through the snatch strap was a bad idea and i dont trust my safety chain hookups with a recovery)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
been using my factory front tow hooks for over a decade now without any problems what soo ever

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i can install tow hooks through the bumper mounting bolts and ill have a strong enough connection to the frame?

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
so i can install tow hooks through the bumper mounting bolts and ill have a strong enough connection to the frame?
Yes.

Also...there is nothing wrong with just using the pin in the rear if that's what you have.

Think about it....the "PIN" is all that hold the d-ring slug or ball hitch. IT IS what holds the force. ;)

Also if you have a ball receiver you can remove the ball from it and use a d-ring in the hole. You can pick the d-rings up for around 6 or 7 bucks from just about any tractor supply type store.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,400 Posts
The bumper is not a factor here, it could be made from tinfoil so far as tow hooks or winches are concerned. The bumper mounting bolts only pass through the bumper to the frame below which provides the strength. Front tow hooks come with bolts that replace the OE bumper bolts and since they only pass through the bumper to the below frame, that method is more than strong enough.

If you need to buy your own bolts, use 1/2"x16 bolts that are either Grade 5 or, better, Grade 8 hardened bolts. Length-wise, just buy them 1" longer than the OE bolts since the tow hook mounting base is about 1" tall.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
of course not... factory tow hooks are just for looks.. so soccer mommies can feel comfortable driving..

:rofl: just playin.. they do come there for a reason..

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good stuff now i can stop using a chain looped around the axle on the front and wrapping the chain around the ball hitch in the back.....lol

for real thought hooks, shocks and some aux lights are on my winter to do list now.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
jebby said:
good stuff now i can stop using a chain looped around the axle on the front and wrapping the chain around the ball hitch in the back.....lol

for real thought hooks, shocks and some aux lights are on my winter to do list now.....
Jesus

·
Registered
172 Posts
jebby said:

Pretty sure there is a video of a Cherokee getting his axle ripped out from under him doing exactly that...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:doh:suppose i should have made my sarcasm more obvious.... although funny to see horribly recoveries on youtube i like my windshield, axle, face, life, ect ect.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
jebby said:
:doh:suppose i should have made my sarcasm more obvious.... although funny to see horribly recoveries on youtube i like my windshield, axle, face, life, ect ect.....
Haha! Alright alright

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone know the dims/thread pattern on the torx bolts that come stock? are they nutted? and if they just screw in how much extra bolt is there?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
anyone know the dims/thread pattern on the torx bolts that come stock? are they nutted? and if they just screw in how much extra bolt is there?
They are approx: t-55 to T-65 I think. Should be about 1" or so of thread. No nut threads are in the frame so to speak.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
are they nutted? and if they just screw in how much extra bolt is there?
There is a nut tack welded inside the frame. 1/2 hardened hex heads are at Lowes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's my before and after.

Added Rock Crawler Bumpers and tow bar brackets (I flat tow behind a motorhome)
Those bumpers are 1/8" thick steel, very strong. They bolt to the top and the bottom of the frame, they aren't going anywhere. The Blue Ox tow brackets bolt through the bumper, and have 1/4" thick steel reinforcements behind them.

Tow hooks can attach directly to those brackets, or they make some that will attach directly to the bumper.

I also have a rock crawler back bumper, it's the only one I could find with a built in rated (3500 lb) reciever.

Attachments

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
They are approx: t-55 to T-65 I think. Should be about 1" or so of thread. No nut threads are in the frame so to speak.
Just took my tow hooks off Sunday, mine are stock. The bolts are T55's and they are about 2" long threaded the entire length of the bolt. No clue the tpi on them tho'....

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Just took my tow hooks off Sunday, mine are stock. The bolts are T55's and they are about 2" long threaded the entire length of the bolt. No clue the tpi on them tho'....
Why did you take them off?

I have shackles and the hooks.
I like the hooks for "quickies"

Ohhhh that's right, you got that hoop thingy, didn't you!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Yes ma'am I did... :) So I put them right back on, after I got the hoop in place :D

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
you're a good girl!!
I like having the hooks front and rear, they are quite convenient.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts