Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to hear what others opinions/thoughts/comments are.....If you have or were looking to have a truck to tow you jeep (on trailer), RV, etc. and to also be mixed in as a daily driver (mixed in with the jeep obviously), what do you have or would you buy?

Mainly talking about a 3/4 ton, 4wd, four door truck like Ford, Chevy/GMC, Dodge Ram. Diesel or gas?

If you have another option would like to hear it too.

Not looking for what your daily driver is (if not a jeep) in general. Just specifically if you have a rig to tow/daily drive.

Not trying to start a one brand vs. another argument, but would like to know why you'd pick or have picked the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I've been towing, both flat towing and with a car hauler, since 2000. I started flat towing my YJ in 2002 with a 2002 F150. I moved to a car hauler in 2004, and towed with a 150 until 2017. The half tons are okay towing platforms, and terrific daily driver platforms.

I purchased a 2017 F250 to serve as my tow vehicle/daily driver. There is no comparison in the towing department. The 3/4 ton is an amazing towing platform. My 250 has the 6.2, and towing the Jeep is not a problem. The JKU is about 1,000 lbs heavier than my previous Armored YJ, and I do not feel it back there.

Daily driving an F250 is a lot; mine is a crew cab w/short bed, but still a long vehicle. I work from home, so I'm not as good a reference for DD duties.

Modern 1/2 tons are rated to tow a lot, but they are still at the upper limit when towing; pay careful attention to the payload number on the 150. My last 150 was around 1,200 lbs; my current 250 is 3180 lbs! Don't fall for the marketing hype around max tow and those numbers. A fully loaded F150 may have less than 1,000 lbs payload; not a good candidate for towing a Jeep on a trailer that uses up ~800lbs payload alone!

Properly configured a 1/2 ton will do the job and be more comfortable as a DD.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Here is an older shot of my 09 150 towing my YJ...

I had to use 'cheater bars' with the 150 to keep it level and redistribute the load due to the squat. That 150 had Max Tow/Max haul springs on it too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One ton truck to flat tow the Jeep.
Slide in camper for the back of the truck.
We tow to an area, sleep in the camper, and use the Jeep for exploring.....
The new turbo diesels are hard to beat. Most one ton diesels have exhaust brakes too, makes those downhills WAY easier and safer.....

Chuck

·
Registered
39 Posts
We are set up to flat tow- we know that whatever trails we run - it's gotta be flat towed back! Where as if you trailer you can be more aggressive in your play!
We take our JK to Colorado every year for trail running an fishing- my setup allows us be be off grid with the luxury of the JK to run about
Paleo

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have an '05 Dodge 2500 Diesel Quadcab and a trailer for hauling. As stated earlier, the 3/4 ton will handle just about anything with ease. I used to use a 1/2 ton, and it was really not fun or a good idea. Fuel consumption while towing, the diesel blew away the gas motor no problem - but it is an '05 without all the emissions garbage that's on the newer trucks. Since they started adding all the emissions stuff, mileage went way down on diesels. I get @20mpg, and anywhere from 15 to 17 towing. My friends with newer diesels are getting more like 12 or less towing.

My 2500 has been a daily driver since new, and it is no problem. I will say if you are not towing all the time, I would opt for a gas engine as diesel is pretty expensive and it will take a long time to recoup the additional cost (that is if you are buying new). If you tow alot, then consider a diesel. I know I would be cruising down the highway and forget I had a trailer hooked up. With the 1/2 ton gas rig, I always felt it and could watch the fuel gauge drop climbing long hills.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you were looking at getting a diesel, which would you look at? Ford, Chevy/GMC, Dodge Ram? And why? For example, gas mileage, towing capacity, ride quality, interior quality, engine reliability, engine/transmission, etc., etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm like "Notalot", I too have a 2005 Ram, with Cummins diesel. I too have an OOOOLD truck mount camper, and tow my TJ flat. I have towed all over So. Cali., and even some Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. When we went to Yellowstone, we were able to park in smaller places that the crowds were thinner, and only worried about bears cause it is a soft top !

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you were looking at getting a diesel, which would you look at? Ford, Chevy/GMC, Dodge Ram? And why? For example, gas mileage, towing capacity, ride quality, interior quality, engine reliability, engine/transmission, etc., etc.
Years ago I would have said Dodge with the Cummins Diesel, I really like the straight six simple proven design. In the newer trucks, I believe it comes down to personal preference. I have friends that own a Dodge/Ford/Chevy, and each has it's plus & minus - but overall they all run great. If I were going to buy a newer truck, I would most likely go with a Ford because I feel it is overall the most refined. All seem to get similar mpg amd none of them have any issue hauling a decent load.

Do what I did when I was thinking about a truck, go test drive each one. Everyones taste is different, and you may find an option or a layout that you really like.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have owned several Rams with the Cummins both with and without egr/def/etc. If you're looking for a 3/4 ton diesel I would go Cummins all the way personally. I think the interior and ride quality etc is sufficient for me but the Fords are a little nicer/more comfortable inside I believe. It all comes down to personal preference though. If you still liked the idea of a (true) half ton I would look at the Ford Ecoboost or the ram ecodiesel. I personally currently have a ram 1500 ecodiesel and I tow an 8k lb camper with it. I bought some airbags that go inside the springs for like 80 bucks on Amazon and it definitely makes a huge difference towing with a half ton. Test drive as many options as you can though and see what works for you. It's alot of personal preference. Just my 2 cents

2011 JKU. NBTX

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
My only concern surrounding a 3/4 ton w/diesel is the impact to payload. With a Ford it is 1,000lbs! This is why I went with the 6.2 gas in my 250; even with a fully loaded King Ranch; I have over 3,000lbs payload. My feelings have been if you tow heavy and frequently, go diesel; otherwise go gas. The payoff for the diesel up-charge is too long these days. imho. The rating of the truck is most important; brand is a personal choice.

Not to hijack, but I'm going to... I'm interested in the experience with a slide-in and towing your Jeep. I've looked now and then for one, but with a short-bed my options are limited so they come up less frequently. I've considered the move because sleeping in a tent is starting to get old. I figure if I can stay under 2,000lbs on the camper, I'll have enough room to tow the trailer; more if I flat tow. It seems like most flat tow with a slide-in.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@jeep63 I have wondered the same thing as far as gas vs diesel. I can't see my self towing a heavy load real frequent so I thought about the 3/4 ton gas. However, I am also one that usually likes to concept of "have it when you need it" so make me lean towards diesel. But if I am being totally honest with myself, gas would probably be sufficient. I just like the idea of having the diesel I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
@jeep63 I have wondered the same thing as far as gas vs diesel. I can't see my self towing a heavy load real frequent so I thought about the 3/4 ton gas. However, I am also one that usually likes to concept of "have it when you need it" so make me lean towards diesel. But if I am being totally honest with myself, gas would probably be sufficient. I just like the idea of having the diesel I guess.
I get it 100%! It took a lot of will power and number crunching for me to not order the 6.7. In the end, I just could not justify it to myself, let alone the Minister of Finance!

I really only tow like 6 times a year, so the choice I made was best for me. Good luck with your search, and resisting the oil burner temptation!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hope to one day trailer my Jeep on a road trip to do some cool offroading and have a Silverado 1500 2WD with a 5.3 gas motor (has the towing package) which is my daily driver. I have pulled a lot of trailers (had a CDL when I was younger and have gone through several boats and trailers) and for a few times a year, I expect the Silverado to work just fine for the Jeep. Keep in mind I would only use a tandem axle trailer with brakes and would do everything in my power to balance the load (10%-15% tongue weight) and keep the trailer level (ex: offset hitch height). It is definitely at the limit but for a few times a year it'll be just fine.

If I was trailering more often than I guarantee I would be looking at a bigger truck with a diesel simply because it'll be a lot more comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If money was not a concern, I would get the Ram 3500 dually with the Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel. It has a towing capacity of 35,100 lbs. That thing is a beast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My feelings have been if you tow heavy and frequently, go diesel; otherwise go gas. The payoff for the diesel up-charge is too long these days. imho.
My thoughts and opinions. YMMV

Going w a diesel isn't a math problem. If I needed the math to work out, I'd never be able to justify owning the Jeep......
:)

I live in Colorado at 7,100ft. I drive up the mountains, and down the mountains. If I'm not pulling the Jeep, I'm pulling the snowmobile trailer. I have a camper on the truck. About 18,000lbs total.

I like a diesel. Here's why....
- The comparisons in pulling power between a gas motor and a diesel motor are usually done at sea level. The gap between the pulling power grows quite a bit at 7,000ft, and a whole bunch more at 12,000ft. A turbo diesel (all the trucks are now) just doesn't loose as much power at elevation.... I keep up with the flow of traffic. This puts a smile on my face (priceless), and eliminates the speed differential between myself and surrounding cars which I consider a safety issue.....
- After going up the mountain, I have to go down the mountain. Diesel exhaust brakes kick ass. Less stress, and there's that safety thing again..... I've overheated my brakes coming down a mountain before, never again......
- Around here, the hot months are the road construction months. When stuck in the inevitable delays, in 90 degree temps, things can get warm. My diesel will actually cool down while sitting in traffic, even with the air conditioner on high.

Chuck

·
Registered
140 Posts
My thoughts and opinions. YMMV

Going w a diesel isn't a math problem. If I needed the math to work out, I'd never be able to justify owning the Jeep......
:)

I live in Colorado at 7,100ft. I drive up the mountains, and down the mountains. If I'm not pulling the Jeep, I'm pulling the snowmobile trailer. I have a camper on the truck. About 18,000lbs total.

I like a diesel. Here's why....
- The comparisons in pulling power between a gas motor and a diesel motor are usually done at sea level. The gap between the pulling power grows quite a bit at 7,000ft, and a whole bunch more at 12,000ft. A turbo diesel (all the trucks are now) just doesn't loose as much power at elevation.... I keep up with the flow of traffic. This puts a smile on my face (priceless), and eliminates the speed differential between myself and surrounding cars which I consider a safety issue.....
- After going up the mountain, I have to go down the mountain. Diesel exhaust brakes kick ass. Less stress, and there's that safety thing again..... I've overheated my brakes coming down a mountain before, never again......
- Around here, the hot months are the road construction months. When stuck in the inevitable delays, in 90 degree temps, things can get warm. My diesel will actually cool down while sitting in traffic, even with the air conditioner on high.

Chuck
Agreed. Most especially if you live or recreate at altitude. I have owned only diesels since 06, will never go back, currenlty a '13 RAM 3500 Crew. Our cabin is at 9500ft, and the road sucks for the last mile, BAD. Would not haul 800 gallons of water up there with a gasser..... And the passes....just a dream with a diesel and exhaust brake.

Just ditched the UTV life for a JKUR so I don't have to trailer everywhere, but when I do tow I will not worry about that 9 or 10K behind me even a little.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts