Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous posts about tow straps with metal hooks. I had one in my truck before I got the jeep. I just transferred it over.

Honest question, why are they bad and what are the alternatives?

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So fabric hooks have a loop on the end for fastening? I assume QT sells them.

·
Registered
860 Posts
And a snatch strap is a far better choice than a tow strap if you plan on using it for recovery. It is less likely to cause damage when applying force since it stretches...and that same stretch allows you to essentially build and store force in the strap, which is useful in a recovery.

Also avoid a recovery strap that is rated too highly...since you won't get the desired stretch when you are recovering another Jeep-sized vehicle. Something like the 17,500 lb version of this is a good choice:

ARB ARB705US - ARB Snatch Strap - Quadratec

·
Registered
327 Posts
Also and I know from experience a hook turns into a forceful projectile causing damage or possible death if it hits someone. I've seen trailer hitch balls lodge into a tailgate of a pickup when the shank snapped. Also seen hooks like your describing go through a back window. Any metal on a recovery strap is a very bad idea.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I want to make sure I'm not sued by a Hummer owner as I rescue them. lol. I'll order a proper strap and find a creative use for the pos I have.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm a newb too... So I should be looking for a strap rated around 17k? I got the whole idea behind non metal type but wasn't too sure about weight rating

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a joke. You in Moab? I used to ride slickrock all the time 20 years ago.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's my thread, I don't see any jacking here. I have the FXSTI model, 2002. Bought it new. Love the standard since I could do what I wanted with it.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Nice. my sporty has saddlebags and quick detach windshield and an engine guard, also has extra lighting so it looks like a little bagger :nonono: if it was how I wanted it would be a 72 but I cant risk dumping it without a guard.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's no dumping a H-D.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I practice slow maneuvers all the time. Iv set it down a number of times. It just rests on the saddlebags and guard, doesnt hit anywhere else. My dad was a motor cop for 10 years so its expected of me to be godly at controlling a bike.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long have you been riding?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Only a couple months. Got endorsed beginning of september. Got about 1500 miles on the bike from me. Im making up for my lack of riding though, thats why im still riding with it being below freezing in the mornings :thumb: I have experience with dirt bikes before I got my motor license.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are the stock posts I have on my front bumper useless?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts