Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing with the thought of flat towing my YJ behind a 94 s10 blazer on about a 7 hour trip. Blazer is a 4.3 L Auto with tow package and I think it's rated to tow around 5500 lbs. YJ weighs in a tad bit over 3K. Any thoughts? Am I thinking myself into some trouble here? I don't have a problem with the trip taking longer, having the take breaks, etc or the ride being a bit bumpy..just don't want to get into an unsafe situation.

Thanks all..

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
you will be fine. My family has towed with our 2000 Chevy Astro numerous times. The trailer was a 1997 Palomino pop weighing about 3000#. the Astro is basically the same vehicle, same engine and i believe very similar frames. in the van there was always 5 people, a dog and enough camping gear for about 2 weeks. The 4.3 is also a torquey beast and you shouldn't have a problem. Have fun =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply nvr. I've been going back and forth on whether to use this setup or not, but it's the best one given my circumstances. I also have an 01 Dakota, but it's only a 3.9, not as much torque and no tow package/hitch (tow bumper only). I've used it to tow the heep short distances but cringe at the thought of towing long distances with it, so a buddy offered me up to use his Blazer if I wanted.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Are you planning on wheelin at your destination? Make sure you carry extra univ. joints and axle shafts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
towing a jeep

]Playing with the thought of flat towing my YJ

I did that and lost the rear drive shaft somewher in calif.

I also tore-up the muffler, cut a fuel line, and the cable for the speedomiter.

It bent the shaft that comes out of the back of the T-Case. broke the unit that covers the slip yoke.

Left part of the drive shaft U-joint attached to the rear end.

I did not know this happen until the end of the 150 mile trip.

Be very careful and read the tow instuctions ahead of time.

Boy did that hurt my wallet.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
How the heck did towing cause you to lose the drive shaft?

·
Registered
933 Posts
yeah, howd you lose the drive shaft? and then not know till the end of your 150 mile trip!! :rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, now that's a war story. Did you leave your t-case engaged?

No, not planning on doing any wheeling...just moving to a new place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
drive shaft vanished

How the heck did towing cause you to lose the drive shaft?

I have no idea. Someone told me that the T-Case could have poped into gear when I hit a bump, or something????

All I really know is it cost a bundle to fix, and I didn,t know when it happen.:deadhorse:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts