Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2013 JK I was worried about towing my boat. I have an 18' Seadoo jetboat and today I pulled it for the first time with the JK. I know the weight would be right at the listed towing capacity. It towed the boat great, I didn't have any problems with it, and it actually felt like it towed better than my Nissan Frontier I used to have.

·
Registered
666 Posts
does the trailer have brakes, and did you hook up a brake controller in the JK?

or none? just use engine breaking and keep extra distances?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am pulling about 2500lbs and am extremely impressed with how it pulls.:punk:

I sold a diesel truck to purchase the jeep, which have a bad rap for towing to begin with, so I was definitely worried that I was spoiled and going to be let down. Not the case at all. I have the Penstar and 3.73's BTW.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are talking about a 2dr, drive train strength is not the limiting factor, the safety of the short wheelbase is a concern. The short wheelbase is not as stable in the wind or stopping, so jackknifing is a real concern. As live_slow indicated, drive very conservatively and consider brakes and stabilizers. I pulled a 2,000 lb landscaping trailer from Ohio to NC through the WV mountains with no issue. Actually, the Jeep/trailer combo rode better loaded.

·
Registered
502 Posts
good news.
i pulled a 17' camper with my 2013 JK with 3.73 gears. 2800 pounds with elctric brake controller
Got a picture?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the trailer have brakes, and did you hook up a brake controller in the JK?

or none? just use engine breaking and keep extra distances?

No trailer brakes. Like you mentioned I just drove conservatively and with the 6 spd manual I can brake with the engine.

·
Registered
666 Posts
No trailer brakes. Like you mentioned I just drove conservatively and with the 6 spd manual I can brake with the engine.

Thanks for the follow up. The cargo trailer (with optional trailer top tent) that I'm looking at does not offer brakes.

On one hand, I'd like to have them and a properly tweaked EBC.

On the other hand, I'd like to think moderate loads don't need 'em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts