Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I SAFELY tow a trailer and car behind the JK for about 1800 miles?

So I was hoping to rent a trailer to hook up to my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited so I can tow a 2005 Nissan Altima.
Relocating from Colorado to Florida. Dont want to drive 2 cars, with only 2 drivers, all the way to Florida. If i cant tow it behind the JK then I might as well drive my own moving truck as well (which i know can tow a car); but done the cross-country-truck-drive-plus-car-tow ourselves too many times, not doing it again.

Jeep Specs:
Max towing: 3,500 pounds
Max payload: 1,103 pounds

I've seen Jeeps pulling all sizes of caravans and trailers behind them from small to enormous. However, Uhaul wont allow us to rent/pull a full trailer when selecting options online. My husband is concerned about the JK brakes and thinks that's the reason Uhaul wont let us select the options we want.

I know people may reply with their own "towed this and towed that with no problem" experiences, but i dont want to take unnecessary risks and request also professional answers about safety, please.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Personally, I would say no, unless the Altima and trailer combined are less than 3500 lbs. I looked up the base weight on the Altima and it is right around 3000 lbs itself (Motor Trend). With that in mind, I do not think you'll find a trailer to haul it on for less than 500 pounds. U-Haul is notorious for not wanting to rent to Wrangler owners, at least that's what I hear, I've never tried.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If you have 3.21 gears the max tow capacity is 2000 lbs., max tongue weight 200 lbs. If you have 3.73's you go up to 3,500 lbs. max total tow weight, max tongue weight 350 lbs. If the Altima plus trailer total weight is over 3,500 lbs. and/or over 350 lbs. of tongue weight it's not safe to tow. This is the answer. It looks like the curb weight of an 05 Altima is between 3,001 to 3,326 lbs., then you have to factor in the trailer weight and determine the tongue weight.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Couple of things to consider. First what gears do you have? 3.21 will limit your 2015 to 2000# 3.73 & above gives you the 3500# rating.
Second, assuming the weight is 3500#, you won't want to tow that without electronic trailer brakes. Especially for a long distance. For a one time trip, the 7 pin wiring harness & brake controller may be more trouble and expense than it is worth.
Maybe consider shipping one of your vehicles

·
Registered
478 Posts
Man, you are going to get all sorts of answers from this forum regarding what you want to do.
My opinion:
Can you do it? Legally:no Ilegally? Yes
Should you do it? Absolutely not.

If you are going to tow that much weight with any vehicle and want to be safe, then you need to have trailer brakes, and I don't mean surge brakes, but you need a brake controller that you can tune up to the towed weight before you get on the highway.
Pulling the weight you won't have an issue, stopping... that's a complete different world.
My trailer is well wishin the capacities of my truck and I usually don't drive above 65 when towing.
I can tell you that even though I have excellent trailer brakes and the truck I drive has excellent braking power as well as exhaust brake, I have encounter a couple of instances where an idiot cuts in front of me and slams the brakes just so he/she can take the exit ahead...
My towing weight is usually 2-3k pounds below the trucks capacity.
My pin weight is at around half or less and my payload is a good 25% under capacity.
I am sure others have towed a lot more than they should and they survived... my point is, when your life and your husband's (possibly others on the road) is on the line, why risk it?
That's a long stretch of road that you need to cover and not all flatland.
Last week I saw a Grand Cherokee pulling what looked like a 22-24 enclosed trailer. No idea what they had inside that trailer but, the GC was squatting horribly, and yet, they think is ok because the V8 has lots of power and it will pull "like a dream" Plus, the government doesn't have a clue as far as tow ratings go... Or so I've read on this forum several times.
That's the sort of thing that makes me cringe when I see it on the road.
So for what is worth, I vote no.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would, but then again I tow trailers with my 2013 JKU regularly and I am comfortable with its capabilities. If you do not have extensive experience with trailers it is probably a bad idea, especially if will be crossing any mountains.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How about a tow dolly for the Altima? The limits on the Uhaul page looks like it would work for you. No way would I pull a multiple vehicle/trailer combination...

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Tow-Dolly-Rental/TD/

I was thinking the same thing. For 2016, the rating for towing looks to be all 3500. The car Im looking to tow from NJ to NC is listed at 3140 lbs. Plus the dolly, what ever that weighs.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It's not safe, it'll be too much weight, even for a 4 door with 4.10's. ship it with a commercial carrier, shop for prices, it'll be about $500-$700, door to door.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you ship it wont the cost be offest by all the gas you save, no trailer rental, and less wear on both vehicles? I'd imagine it would be a much nicer drive if you don't have to tow a car behind you and would be safer and faster.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I would love to drive it but right now, I am not sure the new engine will be done in time. I do not want to ship it.

I don't think my 86 F-150 will tow it either. I am not sure what the tow rating is on that. The beauty part of if the truck could tow it, was I would leave both down there....

·
Registered
531 Posts
uship.com dirt cheap!

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
Can I SAFELY tow a trailer and car behind the JK for about 1800 miles?

So I was hoping to rent a trailer to hook up to my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited so I can tow a 2005 Nissan Altima.
Relocating from Colorado to Florida. Dont want to drive 2 cars, with only 2 drivers, all the way to Florida. If i cant tow it behind the JK then I might as well drive my own moving truck as well (which i know can tow a car); but done the cross-country-truck-drive-plus-car-tow ourselves too many times, not doing it again.

Jeep Specs:
Max towing: 3,500 pounds
Max payload: 1,103 pounds

I've seen Jeeps pulling all sizes of caravans and trailers behind them from small to enormous. However, Uhaul wont allow us to rent/pull a full trailer when selecting options online. My husband is concerned about the JK brakes and thinks that's the reason Uhaul wont let us select the options we want.

I know people may reply with their own "towed this and towed that with no problem" experiences, but i dont want to take unnecessary risks and request also professional answers about safety, please.
Thanks everyone.
As others have stated, tow weight depends on the gears you have. 3.21 = 2,000 pounds, 3.73+ = 3,500. That aside, the numbers don't add up in your favor either way.

Google says a 2005 Altima weighs between 3,001 to 3,326 lbs.
Uhaul states the empty trailer weight as 2,210 lbs. (also note the 5,000 lbs. stated minimum for the hitch)

So that leaves you between 5,211 and 5,536 pounds. Plus you'd likely load the car down with additional luggage etc. So my opinion is NO WAY :)

Even the tow dolly at 750 pounds leaves you well over the 3.73 gear max. Combined with the statistical odds that you have 3.21 gears.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck on your trip!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts