Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to trailer 3 Harleys(SG, RK and Vrod) from Florida to NC and back using my JK. I believe the total tow weight will be around 3,200 lbs which is 1,200 more than what Jeep specs recommends. The 200 LB tongue weight will be OK, since the 2 heavier bikes will be closer to the back of the trailer. I trailered 2 bikes weighing 2,600 Lbs with the same trailer using a Toyota 4runner that has the same towing specs. I believe JK has the power to pull the above weight, but am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,

Fuzzy...

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
its the short wheelbase that might give you trouble. what year is your JK, if its the newer engine... that'll help. :whistling:

EDIT - nevermind - see your signature is a 2013 unlimited... :doh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your unlimited is rated for 3500 lbs, you will be fine. It is only the 2 doors that are rated for 2000 lbs.
coelement777; Thanks, found it, it is 3,500 lbs, life is good.

Fuzzy...

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Your 4 door might be rated for 2000 pounds....do you have 3.21's?

But IMO, even with 3.21's, the new engine/auto tranny can tow more than 2000 pounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure you have the majority of the weight in front of the trailer axle or you can get alot of swaying...not good! ;)
I did not know that backdock, thanks.

Fuzzy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your 4 door might be rated for 2000 pounds....do you have 3.21's?

But IMO, even with 3.21's, the new engine/auto tranny can tow more than 2000 pounds.
Panthermark, what is a 3.21?

Fuzzy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Gear ratio. Sports, Saharas come with either 3.21 or 3.73 depending on what the vehicle was ordered with (max tow got 3.73) rubicons have either 4.10 or even 3.73 in some. Just affects really how much weight you can tow/comfortably manage on your vehicle. This is why you see people rehear to like 4.56 or 4.88 because of the weight of larger tires and other mods/ to improve acceleration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gear ratio. Sports, Saharas come with either 3.21 or 3.73 depending on what the vehicle was ordered with (max tow got 3.73) rubicons have either 4.10 or even 3.73 in some. Just affects really how much weight you can tow/comfortably manage on your vehicle. This is why you see people rehear to like 4.56 or 4.88 because of the weight of larger tires and other mods/ to improve acceleration.
Thanks for the explanation Crush21. I could not find the Gear ratio stamped on the Diff Cover as described on another site, is it written anywhere else?
Fuzzy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked my sales paperwork, it has the Max tow package option with the 3.73 ratio. It should be good for up to 3,500 lbs.

Fuzzy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts