Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just leased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL diesel from my Jeep dealer in Marion, MA. I was towing a Toyota Camry behind the motorhome on a Tow Dolly. I'd like to know if anyone is towing a Jeep Wrangler on a Tow Dolly. My reason for wanting to use the Tow Dolly is that I already have the Tow Dolly, and the cost of setting up the Jeep on a leased vehicle or any vehicle is about $4000.00 and if at the end of the lease I change vehicles I'd have to do it all over again. I also have a flatbed car trailer, all steel that weighs approximately 2600 lbs. as opposed to the tow dolly that weighs less than 1000 lbs. I can't see why, if you put the tramission in neutral and the front tranfer case in neutral and put the front wheels on the Tow Dolly it should be the same as flat towing. Any help on this subject would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Paul06trike

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Check your owners manual, but Wranglers generally cannot be towed on a dolly. Maybe if you disconnect the rear drive shaft. Good luck!

·
Retired Moderator
100,459 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
For a TJ they recommend transfer case in neutral and transmission in gear to insure tranny output does not spin as with tranny input not spinning (engine off) there is not adequate lubrication so you want to insure that tranny output does not spin

But your transfer case may not have a true neutral or be adequately lubricated with only rear output spinning

So you check in owners manual where they hide the information about towing

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I have just leased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL diesel from my Jeep dealer in Marion, MA. I was towing a Toyota Camry behind the motorhome on a Tow Dolly. I'd like to know if anyone is towing a Jeep Wrangler on a Tow Dolly. My reason for wanting to use the Tow Dolly is that I already have the Tow Dolly, and the cost of setting up the Jeep on a leased vehicle or any vehicle is about $4000.00 and if at the end of the lease I change vehicles I'd have to do it all over again. I also have a flatbed car trailer, all steel that weighs approximately 2600 lbs. as opposed to the tow dolly that weighs less than 1000 lbs. I can't see why, if you put the tramission in neutral and the front tranfer case in neutral and put the front wheels on the Tow Dolly it should be the same as flat towing. Any help on this subject would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Paul06trike
Unless something has changed recently I have always heard you can't use a dolly with a Jeep, it is either a flat tow or a trailer. Your car trailer may be the best route since you already have it. I just ordered a Winnebago recently and once I get it I plan on towing my JL on my trailer behind it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Disconnecting the rear driveshaft may be the only way to tow it on a dolly.

Just unbolt it from the rear diff and tie it up out of the way so it doesn't fall out or get hit by the axle running through it's suspension cycle

$4000 to set up your jeep for flat tow is way overpriced

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ 4.0 Automatic with about a four inch lift, 35x12.50x15 Hercules tires
70 Posts
If you just unbolt the driveshaft and tie it up as Hard Rocker said, be sure to wrap some tape around the u joint to keep from losing the bearing caps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disconnecting the rear driveshaft may be the only way to tow it on a dolly.

Just unbolt it from the rear diff and tie it up out of the way so it doesn't fall out or get hit by the axle running through it's suspension cycle

$4000 to set up your jeep for flat tow is way overpriced
$4,000?

We are getting our TJ fitted for flat towing. It has a custom bumper and we are having custom towing equipment fabricated for the bumper. We were quoted $1,650, and that includes everything to make it tow ready.

This video was very helpful for us deciding the flat tow option:

·
Registered
420 Posts
$4,000 quote to make a Jeep flat-towable is a rip off IMHO. $1650 seems too low; the parts alone should be a bit more than that. By the time you get the baseplate (or properly rated bumper with supplemental brackets), the tow bar, the brake module, the wiring, and all the "tackle", you'll likely be in the $2,000 range for just the parts. If you're handy, have a decent set of tools, and can follow instructions (printed and video), the installation is not too bad. I've personally done it on my WK2, my JLU, and my YJ.

As they sit, JLs cannot be dolly-towed; it's either all 4 down or all 4 up. Personally, I wouldn't want to mess with the disco driveshaft thing. I want the flat-tow connect/disconnect process to be as simple and efficient as possible. In the event I get boxed in somewhere and need to disco the Jeep (yes, it's happened to me before), I don't want to be farting around with the driveshaft. Plus I'm really not interested in trying to find somewhere to store a tow dolly (at home or in my travels).

·
Pretty well seen it all
2020 Rubicon Unlimited Diesel
149 Posts
When I traded an already prepped '14 JKU for my '20 Rubi diesel we were in Idaho (long way from Florida) and had limited tools. We were at the park for a month so I ordered the base plate from Amazon along with wire harness and installed at our site. Flat towing is absolutely the way to go. Easy to hook up and no dolly/trailer to store when at RV parks. Just the base plate and wire harness for lighting was around 550.00. I also ended up buying a new Blue Ox aluminum tow bar which set me back around 800. A good brake system will be about a grand or so. Buy quality items and you only buy once.

20200814_092902.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bear in mind in most states you’ll also need a way to activate the Towed vehicle brakes as well. I went with an RVI unit because I didn’t want to mess with the wiring harness. Works great but not cheap...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Bear in mind in most states you’ll also need a way to activate the Towed vehicle brakes as well. I went with an RVI unit because I didn’t want to mess with the wiring harness. Works great but not cheap...
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's required in all states? I know Texas used to have what I considered a pretty high weight limit for towed vehicles not to require brakes. But I remember reading a while back that it was lowered quite a lot. Most anything towed needs brakes now it seems. Again, I don't remember the details (EVERYTHING I tow is WELL in excess of the limit that requires brakes, so I haven't paid attention in a long time). But it's a good idea to know what your home state requires as well as states you may be passing through or traveling to.

And I 100% agree; dinghy brake systems are ridonkulous expensive.

FWIW, I use a Blue Ox Patriot 2 so that I can move it from vehicle to vehicle relatively easily, since I'm towing one of 2 different Jeeps depending on the situation.

·
Pretty well seen it all
149 Posts
I too use the RVi ll brake system on the past 3 different toads. Works great and is compact to store. I switch it back and forth between Jeeps depending on which we are taking along.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Paul06trike

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just purchased 2021 Rubicon The dealer told us it could be dolly towed. The Manuel says No.we have tried it short distance TC in Natural auto in park has worked so far!

·
Pretty well seen it all
149 Posts
The manual is correct, your salesman is not (imagine that). Do not dolly tow a Wrangler. The T case won't like it. Sell the dolly and tow 4 down. Much easier, no dolly to store and safer.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
With the new JL's and the front CAD, the front DS does not move when driving down the road in 2WD. When towing on a dolly the front DS will not be moving. IMO,,, dolly towing on the new JL's should be OK, possibly not for the JK's without the front CAD. But, I have installed the free spin front hubs on my 2014 JK and my front DS no longer moves when in 2WD. So not sure what the difference would be between a dolly and 4 down with TC in neutral.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
RTFM. The manual clearly states either 4 up or 4 down. No dolly towing. All the other ideas are work arounds. Follow the manual or be at your own risk. BTW, I tow my JLUR diesel behind my super C diesel 4 down and don’t have a problem. I use the Readybrute tow bar with built in brake system. Replaced the front bumper with the Rock Hard aluminum bumper with appropriate adapter.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You are correct,, do what the manual says or you are on your own. If I was going to tow, I would do it 4 down. I wonder if the no dolly is related to the ABS and the difference between front and rear sensors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts