Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving from Richmond, VA to St. Louis, MO in a few days. My options are to rent the smallest U-haul truck or pull a U-haul trailer with my jeep. I wanted to get everyone's opinion's on which option. Renting a truck would obviously mean less wear on the jeep and there would be a fair amount of wasted space...but renting a trailer would be a lot less money.

The drive is all I-64 - but goes through West Virginia (mountains), Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois.

Given the fact that the trailer is roughly the same size of the jeep itself - any thoughts or opinions? I have a stock 2003 Wrangler with a 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
if u dont overload the trailer you will most likely have the muscle but the short wheelbase could make things sketchy FAST..... i pull a small utility trailer and a small aluminum fishing boat... mabe 500lb loaded with my tj and the power is no problem but the sway sucks large.... wouldnt do it on the highway

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
Your jeep is only rated to safely tow 2000lbs....that includes the weight of the trailer itself.

THE BIGGEST issues is...well...U-Haul has banned Jeep Wranglers from pulling any trailer. Due to an accident many years ago. U-haul refuses to allow the use of there equipment with Wranglers. :(

With the "issue" and the fact wrangler can't safely pull more than 2000lbs....My advice is a no brainer and use a truck.

:wavey:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
You can rent a Uhaul trailer, you just need a hard top. No soft tops. I've rented & pulled Uhaul trailers on a few occassions in recent years.

2000lbs is the towing capacity, with a 200lbs tongue weight. can't go over that, very dangerous.

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
You can rent a Uhaul trailer, you just need a hard top. No soft tops. I've rented & pulled Uhaul trailers on a few occassions in recent years.

2000lbs is the towing capacity, with a 200lbs tongue weight. can't go over that, very dangerous.
Never been able to get a trailer even in my hardtop jeep. I've tried several different places and three different states. The trailer asked for was just a 4x8 or 5x8 sized utility trailer.

It's all legal issue on thier side and can't blame them.

·
In a trailer in the woods
75,276 Posts
Never been able to get a trailer even in my hardtop jeep. I've tried several different places and three different states. The trailer asked for was just a 4x8 or 5x8 sized utility trailer.

There was no U-Haul place in Maine that would rent me a trailer to tow with my Unlimited when I moved to Moab.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My Sport Trac has almost 7k pound towing capacity, and I can't rent a U-Haul trailer because her first name is Explorer. That sucks big time. I would probably rent a truck and tow the Jeep, though. Its probably gonna get windy on your trip, and that would suck with a short wheel base like the Wrangler has. I can't imagine your Jeep getting very good mileage with a trailer in the mountains. Probably a lot less than a half empty rental truck. If the truck breaks down they come fix it or get it fixed. You break your Jeep, and you're out some money and/or a ride for a while.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drive the Jeep and ship the stuff. Problem solved. :)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Then there's the whole if you tow the Wrangler challenge.....Moving to WA from Cali, Penske would only rent a minimum of 16 foot truck with the car hauler to tow the YJ. Definitely keeps life interesting.

No problems renting utility trailers locally even with a soft top. Have not tried U-Haul, but then my local Cresco has superior equipment compared to the U-Haul chit.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You guys are missing the point here.He is moving to St.Louis.He needs to know how much ammo the jeep can pull.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea problem with uhual is it depends on where you go. I used to go pick up tandem axle car haulers with my lj all the time. Doors off top off on 37s and never got hassled...

But if I were you I'd rent there smallest box van with a hitch (12-14 footer) and a car trailer (not a dolly) and tow the jeep. I used that setup once when my truck was down to go from il to mi and back to pickup a 67 tbird and parts and that setup does extremely well

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You guys are missing the point here.He is moving to St.Louis.He needs to know how much ammo the jeep can pull.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:...... but anyways man if i was you i would play it safe and rent the truck. saving money is not worth dieing over. i live in indiana and it is home do bumb*** drivers out there. be safe spend the exra cash. good luck either way

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I am assuming you will be going through southern IN-Get the truck-it is hilly (not mountains but good rolling hills) and as mentioned some people don't pay attention when driving. Plus if it breaks they fix it..

One U-haul place in town will rent to me with my Jeep.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Going through the same issues here with the uhaul fools, the want $300 to rent the small trailer (5x8) for my 800 mile move. Which of course I can't pick up in the Jeep but can pull. The trailer empty weighs 1000 pounds. I ended up buying a 4x8 stakebed for $200 that weighs 300 pounds empty. Just gotta move the tools a small mattress some clothes etc. I figure 5-600 pounds total. And the trailer is mine for future use. Just trying to figure out a good cheap way to enclose it for the run to Oregon.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have rented the small u haul trailers several times from different U-Haul shops. Only thing was it had to have the hard top, just did this about 8 months ago. But as for pulling one on the highway, don't do it. It isn't a issue with the ability of the Jeep to pull the trailer but the short wheel-base of the Jeep. Around town and maybe a short trip, you also have to remember that MAX speed is 55 mph. Better around 40-45. They get real squirrelly real fast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a aftermarket tow bar on mine that is rated for 3,000 pounds and a single axle trailer that has a box on it about 12' long, 3 1/2' wide and 3 1/2' tall. I use it for small hauling, usually, but have used it for moving heavy items (or packed full) three or four times at a distance of about 225 miles one way (4 banger, 5 speed, stock wheels, no lift). Trip was mostly flat/rolling hills.

Jeep had no problem with stability, but the trailer is narrower (you can see one of the Jeep brake lights while following) than the Jeep and it seems to actually help with air flow. When I drive there without the trailer, I get 18-22 mpg, depending on the wind. With the trailer I get 20-24 mpg and once got 26 with a fantastic tail wind of 20mph+. I keep my speed at around 60 mph, +/-.

I never went that far in the snow and wasn't in the mountains, so I cannot speak to that, but only downshifted a few times on some long, high degree hills. I'd say get the trailer if it is feasible, because mine did just fine. Might depend on how modified you are, as well. If I was higher in the air, I might have more of a problem.

Good Luck and Have a Great Day... RT

·
Registered
8,952 Posts

I've rented from two Uhaul's in Colorado without issue...but they always say hard top only, no soft top. They usually ask me about the homemade/Ebay bumper too, but haven't given me any issue about it.

FWIW, the new 4x7 flatbed with a drop down tailgate pulls nicely...I wish I could buy one!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Going through the same issues here with the uhaul fools, the want $300 to rent the small trailer (5x8) for my 800 mile move. Which of course I can't pick up in the Jeep but can pull. The trailer empty weighs 1000 pounds. I ended up buying a 4x8 stakebed for $200 that weighs 300 pounds empty. Just gotta move the tools a small mattress some clothes etc. I figure 5-600 pounds total. And the trailer is mine for future use. Just trying to figure out a good cheap way to enclose it for the run to Oregon.
That is another option. You can find cheap trailers on Craigslist that might cost a little more than renting one, but lot less than renting a truck and car trailer. You're still left with the pulling it with a Jeep issues, though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts