Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to relocate about 2000 miles in the next few months. I have a 1 bedroom with a queen size bed. I am thinking to rent a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer so that I could have a road trip as well.

My jeep is 2016 JKU with Max Towing package, which is rated 3500 lbs.
The dealer guy told me not to exceed 2000 lbs even with max towing. Below is uhaul trailer ratings. The trailer itself is about 900 lbs.

Has anyone ever done that? Is it safe there? It will be my first time towing a trailer.

If your hitch rating is: Allowed cargo weight is:
1,000 lbs 0 lbs
2,000 lbs 1,100 lbs
3,500 lbs 1,800 lbs

·
Registered
555 Posts
You should not have problems. I tow a 1500 utv on a 600 aluminum trailer. I also haul a ton of pellets on the same trailer, although its only a two mile drive. Check with uhaul because i heard they will not rent to jeeps especially soft tops.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You've got 3500# to tow with your fine. But as stated if you have a soft top or no top they will not rent to you, must have a hard top.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I moved about 1200 miles last July and rented a Penske truck with a trailer and towed my Jeep. Penske gave a great Military discount. Also shop around for the best rate, there's a lot of competition and they'll all argue to beat each other's price!

·
Registered
298 Posts
You'll be fine. I took my 2dr with the same size uhaul 360 miles from NorCal to SoCal over the windy (gusty) Tejon Pass. Only thing different from normal driving was slightly slower acceleration and no rear view. No shimmies or wobbles like I thought I would have with a short wheelbase and high winds. Totally forgot I was pulling a uhaul in no time and cruised at 70 on flat roads. Was a bit slower on hills though. With your jku and tow package you'll not have any problems.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's sad to say, but JK's are absolutely terrible when it comes to towing. It may be rated at a 3500 lb capacity, and it will handle it fine from a safety perspective, but it is one of the most miserable things i've ever had to do in a vehicle. I often make trips from Michigan to Pennsylvania which is only about 500 miles, and even with just a small motorcycle trailer and my Aprilia in it which weighs 390, the drive is terrible. Gas mileage plummets, cant use cruise control, constantly white knuckling, its just really not fun.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, just my (unfortunate) experiences. I used to do it quite often - now I avoid towing as much as possible. :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I towed a 5x10 uhaul last summer with 2 motorbikes in it. 500mile round trip.

Fitted behind my jeep with 2.5 lift perfectly and still got 18mpg.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's sad to say, but JK's are absolutely terrible when it comes to towing. It may be rated at a 3500 lb capacity, and it will handle it fine from a safety perspective, but it is one of the most miserable things i've ever had to do in a vehicle. I often make trips from Michigan to Pennsylvania which is only about 500 miles, and even with just a small motorcycle trailer and my Aprilia in it which weighs 390, the drive is terrible. Gas mileage plummets, cant use cruise control, constantly white knuckling, its just really not fun.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, just my (unfortunate) experiences. I used to do it quite often - now I avoid towing as much as possible. :)
Are you towing with a 3.8 or 3.6? I haven't towed with my JKU yet, but I would imagine it would be fine up to 3500 lbs. with the 3.6, auto, and 4.10 gears. In all honesty I don't have much need to tow with mine as all of my heavy work is done by my diesel Excursion. That thing is a beast and I tow 10k lbs. regularly without issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you towing with a 3.8 or 3.6? I haven't towed with my JKU yet, but I would imagine it would be fine up to 3500 lbs. with the 3.6, auto, and 4.10 gears. In all honesty I don't have much need to tow with mine as all of my heavy work is done by my diesel Excursion. That thing is a beast and I tow 10k lbs. regularly without issue.
2015 3.6L Automatic, 4.10s. I've driven a wide variety of setups though while trailering (part of my job)and they are all generally pretty poor. But like yourself, i'm used to towing with 7.3L's and 5.9L cummins trucks so perhaps my expectations are askew compared to someone elses. I'm also towing up steep grades and through mountains and valleys, so maybe if you live in Illinois you would be okay...? :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
2015 3.6L Automatic, 4.10s. I've driven a wide variety of setups though while trailering (part of my job)and they are all generally pretty poor. But like yourself, i'm used to towing with 7.3L's and 5.9L cummins trucks so perhaps my expectations are askew compared to someone elses. I'm also towing up steep grades and through mountains and valleys, so maybe if you live in Illinois you would be okay...? :)
That's disappointing to hear. Like you said though, after towing with a diesel everything else probably feels underpowered :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
UHaul trailers are heavy. If you go enclosed, you'll have very little weight left for furniture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I pulled a uhaul 6x12 cargo trailer with the same setup 900 miles from Oklahoma to Alabama. Pulled great, could not even tell it was back there unless there was a big hill. You will have no problems. Like others have said, they require a hardtop, but other than that no issues. The bigger issue driving that fast on the highway that far was the hood flutter from wind and semi trucks. I have since upgraded my hood latches so no longer an issue. Put pulling is no problem.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just pulled a full 6x12 all over town and it did great. I think my lift and Fox shocks helped too, but no worries towing it. You'll have problems reversing, the surge brakes on the trailer will fight you.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

Forgot to put that on my post after thinking i should.

I did my trip in illinois/indiana so had no trouble rolling along.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts