Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about selling my truck only if I can tow my ATV trailer with 2 atv’s on it. I have a 2010 Wrangler JK sport 2 door. The 2 bikes and trailer weigh about #2500 together. Anyone done this successfully? I do know the gas mileage will suck even worse.

·
Super Moderator
15,509 Posts
In 2010 the maximum tow rating for a 2 door varied between 1,000 pounds and 2,000 pounds depending on gearing and trans. Most were 2,000 pounds.

Personally I prefer to stay under max specs, that's why I keep a truck for towing.

2010 JK tow specs HERE

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
It is going to depend, are you willing to slow down and accept the potential legal liabilities with pulling over weight? I pull over weight with my 2014 often but my rigs is no where near stock and I keep my speed to 60 mph or slower. I try to never exceed 200 lbs on the tongue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2016 4 door and bought a Triton aluminum atv trailer for just this purpose, it's all aluminum, ways only 300 lbs.

I actually called JEEP and asked what my towing capacity was. Because of what they installed on my rig they said I could pull 4400 lbs. Not sure I believe them but I am well over anything I want to pull.

Call Jeep and ask them the actual towing capacity of your set up. I have heard that some of them can pull more but asking them directly is best.

I'm pulling 2 Can Am 800's on my trailer. I'm more worried about the trailer. I think I will be buying another axle in the future just to be safe.

Ken

·
Registered
665 Posts

Most trips are from Illinois to Wisconsin. Maybe 400 miles round trip. We did make a trip to Moab and one to Texas. Besides the Colorado Rockies, it wasn’t to bad. I’m guessing around 2000lbs with the aluminum trailer. I did upgrade the brakes to a big brake kit. No trailer brakes. It’s about the max I’d personally tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I regularly pull an 18' fishing skiff on a single axle trailer. With gear, fuel, spare tire, etc I'm pulling about 2500#

I am in FL so it is really flat; on the highways I am usually in 3rd gear (4th on long flat stretches with a tailwind) and am averaging around 11 mpg. The Jeep has 3" lift and 35s...so not too bad.

Edit: sorry, just read the original post that you have a two door, so take this for what it is worth~

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you sell the truck and the trailer, that should offset the cost of an aluminum trailer to bring things under 2,000lb. A lighter trailer will also help with fuel economy a little bit... and it won't ever rust or need paint.

Definitely keep the tongue weight light too. With a short wheelbase 2-door, too much tongue weight will try to lift your front tires off the pavement, which is no bueno for steering stability at highway speeds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think if you have 3.73 or 4.10 gears and stock size tires you will be OK as long as you keep speeds reasonable. I currently have a 2017 Rubicon Recon 4.10/auto trans stock size tires and regularly tow my bass boat and a 17 foot Casita travel trailer. The boat weighs about 2500 lbs with a 275-300 lb tongue weight depending on how full the gas tank is. The Casita weighs about 3200 lb with a tongue weight about 420 lb. Tows either most of the time in 5th gear, 4th on moderate grades and occasionally 3rd on steep (over 4%) grades at altitude. I previously had a 2014 2dr JK and towed the bass boat with it - no problems. Personally I believe Wranglers are under rated in the US. Look at the ratings for Europe and Australia, much higher but they have 55-60 mph speed limits while towing. I would not tow my boat or Casita at the 80-85 mph speed limit on some highways with my Wrangler or a full size truck for that matter. I tow at 60-65 mph on the highway. MPG 13.5-Casita, 15.5-boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts