Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) 1993 with 4.0, 5 speed, 373 gears. What is my towing capacity? I have a boat with an overall weight of about 2500 lbs. I'm not going more than 20 miles one way to the boat landing. Will my YJ pull this without harming anything?
2) 1999 XJ with 4.0, auto. Same questions.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
2000 pounds.
No idea in the xj
All 2 door wranglers with the exception possibly of the LJ from the 80's all the way to today is 2000 pounds.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
It isn't the idea of pulling it. It IS the idea of getting it to stop safely in a panic situation. Having to jam on the brakes because some 3 year old came into the street on his tricycle and the heavy trailer pushes you down the street. Do you hit a parked car or run the kid over? Cause you sure aint stopping!

I have a trailer that I pull for camping, and I had it weighed on a platform scale. It comes in at 1850lbs. And I have my hands full trying to get it to whoa in a downhill situation. You would be surprised at how much the trailer will push you when it doesn't have brakes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, especially if the road is a little damp. I had a load of firewood push me right through a 4-way stop once, with all the wheels locked. I just waved at everyone as I went through.
I see that my 3000 lb cargo trailer axle does have flanges for brakes. One of these days I'll dig up the parts and install some on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
It isn't the idea of pulling it. It IS the idea of getting it to stop safely in a panic situation. Having to jam on the brakes because some 3 year old came into the street on his tricycle and the heavy trailer pushes you down the street. Do you hit a parked car or run the kid over? Cause you sure aint stopping!

If you are going one block from the cottage to the boat ramp it probably won't be an issue. If you are planning on 45mph + on the road, I wouldn't do it. I had an XJ that almost wrecked from overheated brakes going down a Colorado mountain...and without a trailer. Jeeps have lousy factory brakes. I'll bet your boat & trailer is longer than your Jeep...another possible problem. Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
The 99 XJ is rated at 3500LBS normal, and 5000LBS with the towing package

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its 4 miles and 6 stop lights from my house to the boat landing. Completely flat land. 2 1/2 miles is 2 lane road, 1 1/2 miles on 4 lane road, and 1/2 mile to the landing. Never over 35 mph. Yes, the boat and trailer is longer than the XJ, so? It's also longer than the truck that brought it here.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Its 4 miles and 6 stop lights from my house to the boat landing. Completely flat land. 2 1/2 miles is 2 lane road, 1 1/2 miles on 4 lane road, and 1/2 mile to the landing. Never over 35 mph. Yes, the boat and trailer is longer than the XJ, so? It's also longer than the truck that brought it here.
The XJ is the way to go.

The YJ will be overloaded. The hitch probably isnt rated for that much tongue weight, and will probably be real light on the front steering and brakes.

If you just gotta do it, the YJ will get it there. Not safely, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was a 16' jon boat, I would take the YJ with no problem because the PO did it with his boat for 20 years. (It was a 1 owner) I have since put heavier brakes on it since I lifted it and put on bigger tires. But this is not an under 1000# boat, it is a 2200# bay boat. So I will be using the XJ to pull it after I get some heavier brakes on it. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You're on the heavier side for the boat.

You could do it, however I'd look at redoing brakes / going with a bigger brake set up.

Remember you can engine brake, and you'll need to be a bit more experienced in towing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Most people that don't pull trailer that are loaded don't think about the extra weight your vehicle has to stop. (With or without trailer breaks ).
1. Keep you head outside and drive ahead watching at least three vehicles in front of you.
2. Allow more space between you and your closes vehicle. (And yes smaller vehicles like Jeeps will cut into that safety zone buffer that you are trying to maintain.)
3. Allow more room to stop safely.
4. Down shift to help breaking on your stops.
5. DONT try to pull more than your vehicle is rated to pull.
6. Keep all your equipment in good and road safe condition.

Happy towing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts