Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 Wrangler Sahara with the 4.0L and a 5 spd with about 137k on the clock. The guy I bought it from was a welder by trade and he welded a hitch receiver onto the stock rear bumper.

This weekend I have to tow a 2900lb car about 15 miles on a dolly.

So I have two questions:
1) Is that much weight gonna tear my bumper off?
2) Can my rig tow the car without breaking something?

·
Wrecktrician
7,349 Posts
Thats a tough one, your jeep is not rated to pull that much weight. A tow dolly really doesn't add weight to your jeep, but you still have to stop it and the brakes may not be up to the job. The towed vehicle may push you in an panic stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but I was thinking if I just take back roads and go really easy on the brakes I should be alright. My fathers 4cyl 5spd Ranger towed a '66 Plymouth Barracuda on an 18' steel trailer with minimal issues and that truck has over 200k on it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done something like this, I know these straight 6's are torqy work horses

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ever heard of 'the tail wagging the dog?' think of the jeep as a lap dog and stick the tail of a great dane on there and start wagging... thats why towing with wranglers generally isn't the best idea. :redface:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think you should be fine as long as you are careful. In theory the Jeep is not designed to do it, however my experience has been, it will do a much bigger job than most people think. Good luck and be safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts