Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1992 Jeep Yj with the 4.0 and the 5 speed manual. I was wondering if I put in a stronger rear end, like a Dana 44, would it increase the towing capacity? I've heard that the engine and transmission can handle about 5,000 pounds but the rear end burns up if you go past 2,000?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Towing is not a necessity for me, if it was I would've got a truck, was just curious if it was true

·
Administrator
12,510 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 1992 Jeep Yj with the 4.0 and the 5 speed manual. I was wondering if I put in a stronger rear end, like a Dana 44, would it increase the towing capacity? I've heard that the engine and transmission can handle about 5,000 pounds but the rear end burns up if you go past 2,000?
Tow rating will remain the same with the dana 44. tow rating is a function of wheel base, frame strength, cooling system etc and other factors. The dana 44 would however be a good upgrade for larger tires. The TJ came with both the dana 35 and dana 44, tow rating same between them.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
490 Posts
Try it and find out no really I wouldn't go over 2000 you have to think about the brakes and steering and the short wheel base

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You could put a dana 70 and not increase safe tow capacity a bit...
The short wheelbase soft suspension and high cg are the limiting factors...

People get away w towing 2000 if they are careful and fairly lucky but 1000 is a safer number for these jeeps....

I have towed a 10,000 lb boat w my yj but I didn't exceed 5 mph.

I also once towed a 10,000 lb truck w a tow strap at up to 60 mph ... rear end and drivetrain were fine but of course my buddy in the truck handled steering and braking it....

·
Registered
490 Posts
You could put a dana 70 and not increase safe tow capacity a bit...
The short wheelbase soft suspension and high cg are the limiting factors...

People get away w towing 2000 if they are careful and fairly lucky but 1000 is a safer number for these jeeps....

I have towed a 10,000 lb boat w my yj but I didn't exceed 5 mph.

I also once towed a 10,000 lb truck w a tow strap at up to 60 mph ... rear end and drivetrain were fine but of course my buddy in the truck handled steering and braking it....
I bet your friends...was puckered

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
I have a 1500# teardrop trailer. I can tow it on the flat with my YJ. If it was any heavier, I wouldn't do it. When I do tow the teardrop, I drive slow and maintain longer stopping distances.
I towed the teardrop with my Cherokee all over, but the Cherokee was a longer vehicle and had a brake controller. The teardrop has electric brakes.

In my experience, Jeeps have relatively poor braking ability. Add larger tires and the braking ability suffers.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I bet your friends...was puckered
Nah he could easily stop me any time he wanted whether I liked it or not.... the truck just wouldn't run at any more than an idle....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've gotta agree with gotta go fast on this one, towing is different because the weight of the stuff your towing is put on the suspension which makes it harder to control.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Actually pulling a train isn't as impressive as it sounds....

As long as all bearings, wheels and track were in good shape w no dragging brakes on level ground w absolutely no curves, it takes way way less to move the train than you'd think....
Any of our jeeps could do it and yes, w a 2" ball lol....
Obviously, as Al was thinking... pulling but not towing lol
Fwiw, I used to be a locomotive engineer

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Rent a Uhaul, call a tow truck to move your 5k lbs. The YJ should never move that weight above 1mph. 92' YJ had a single diaphragm brake booster. Engine cooling adequate for stock vehicle. Frame strength adequate for stock. Nothing was heavy duty. A factory 1/2 ton truck could easily tow 5k lbs.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Towing 2-1/2 tons with a 1/4 ton vehicle... Not a good idea!!!

I'll go one better a dumb a_ _ idea

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Actually pulling a train isn't as impressive as it sounds....

As long as all bearings, wheels and track were in good shape w no dragging brakes on level ground w absolutely no curves, it takes way way less to move the train than you'd think....
Any of our jeeps could do it and yes, w a 2" ball lol....
Obviously, as Al was thinking... pulling but not towing lol
Fwiw, I used to be a locomotive engineer
For what railroad?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts