Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have read the manual a couple times. Towing capacity for my 2010 Rubicon 2 door is 2000 pounds, and tounge weight at 200 pounds. Can you tell me if this is because of the stock bumper or ?? I have seen a few Jeeps like mine pulling a heck of a lot more than that, maybe they are crazy? I know it is probably because of the stopping capability, but thought I would ask anyway. Also, out on the trails I have seen many Jeeps pulling out others, and I know that those weights are a lot more than 2000 pounds. Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Guys, I have read the manual a couple times. Towing capacity for my 2010 Rubicon 2 door is 2000 pounds, and tounge weight at 200 pounds. Can you tell me if this is because of the stock bumper or ?? I have seen a few Jeeps like mine pulling a heck of a lot more than that, maybe they are crazy? I know it is probably because of the stopping capability, but thought I would ask anyway. Also, out on the trails I have seen many Jeeps pulling out others, and I know that those weights are a lot more than 2000 pounds. Thanks.
The advanced search function is your friend. Change to search just the titles and you'll get better results.

Here's a few of the threads already on this subject:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2014-wrangler-towing-capabilty-689562.html?highlight=towing
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-towing-144256.html?highlight=towing
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/question-on-towing-669241.html?highlight=towing
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/towing-with-3-21-gears-and-possibly-changing-them-661713.html?highlight=towing
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/towing-enclosed-7x12-trailer-662113.html?highlight=towing

·
Registered
67 Posts
the 2 door models are rated at 2000# and the 4 door models are rated at 3500# it has to do with the length of the vehicle
hope this helps answer your question

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's not because that's all the vehicle can pull, it's because it's much more dangerous to turn and brake, which are far more important. The 3.8 drivetrain can probably pull 5000 or more behind a JK, but if you have to hit the brakes that 5000 lb trailer is going to swing right around on you and if you're lucky, rip itself free (less lucky would be a rollover).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not only that but when you tow more than the vehicle weights it can greatly increase the risk of trailer sway. A 6k trailer can toss a 2 door jeep around very easily.

There are a lot of idiots on the road towing things they shouldn't, don't be one of them.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the 2 door models are rated at 2000# and the 4 door models are rated at 3500# it has to do with the length of the vehicle
Not all 4 doors are rated for 3500# there is more to it then just length. Gearing, transmission and lawyers all play a factor too.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Your 2dr Rubicon, 3.8, 4.10's and 6 spd. is 2,000 like you said. Different set ups, 4dr., axle ratio, hitch class, has different capacities like you saw in the manual. For you, don't go over 2,000. Pulling out a vehicle and "towing" are two different circumstances. I'm sure some tow over capacity. It's not safe for you or anyone else.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Also keep in mind that if you get in an accident with more than the rated tow capacity hooked to your Jeep, your insurance may refuse to pay for damages. They will pay for accidents, but they won't necessarily pay for stupid.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! Will not tow more, just trying to get opinions as to why? Again, this is to haul a small utility trailer out West for hunting, max would be 1200-1500 pounds.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Thanks guys! Will not tow more, just trying to get opinions as to why? Again, this is to haul a small utility trailer out West for hunting, max would be 1200-1500 pounds.
There's several factors at play. And it's really not a matter of opinion. It's simple physics.

The suspension is not set up to handle the extra weight of the trailer. When you overload the springs, you cause all sorts of handling problems. Pushing down on the tail end causes the front end to be lighter and that reduces your ability to steer effectively in an emergency situation.

The brakes are not designed to handle stopping the extra weight. Too much weight takes too long to stop safely.

Most importantly, the wheelbase is not long enough to handle the dynamics of haling a heavy trailer. It's a matter of leverage. The longer the wheelbase, the better the vehicle is at resisting the forces caused by the trailer as you're driving around. You can easily get in a "tail wagging the dog" situation if you put a heavy trailer on a short wheelbase Jeep.

Regardless of all that, your small utility trailer is just fine on any JK. Just don't overload it. If you do, don't get going too fast.

Some people push way beyond the trailer rating of their Jeep and have no problems for years. But they're gambling with their safety because if an emergency comes up they can lose it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whats the tow hitch size for a 2014 sahara unlimited, is it 1/14 or 2 inches? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts