Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my new-to-me 2015 JKU Sahara set up to tow behind my motorhome.

In the past, I have set up lights for other cars (most recently my 2003 Chevy S-10) by cutting a hole and putting a second dual filament bulb inside each taillight so I don't actually have to connect into the vehicle's main wiring (like using diodes).

My question is: Has anyone here added an extra bulb for towing in a similar model? What sort of bulb/socket did you use?
Am I being overly concerned, and should I just use the standard diodes and use the existing bulbs?

Thanks for any direction here.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Doesn't someone make a harness that plugs into the vehicles harness that uses existing bulbs/wiring? Seems like that'd be easier.

Reactions: BradnChristine

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the Hopkins harness. Plug-n-play easy DIY install. I just bought our 2011 in May for towing behind our RV. It plugs in the factory harness and you don't add any additional bulbs.

https://amzn.to/2Z8cyYB

Here is a good YouTube video by someone showing how to hook it up.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
CooltechLLC.com has a plug and play harness... works great for me. No diodes required.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the Hopkins wiring harness (56200) and am giving that a try instead of installing extra bulbs this time. I found it at etrailer.com for $47.56...much lower than Amazon. Since I have no warranty to worry about, this plug-and-play harness should work easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts