Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's a 1987 30 foot Bayliner (no motor). I have absolutely no idea what its weight is, but does this look like it's going to be too much for a JKUR (with 35's and 5.13 gears)? I don't even know what class hitch it is at this point (haven't seen it yet)

I don't have to travel great distances. It's going to the cottage for a restoration project which is about 80 miles away, and then from there, the boat launch is about a mile away.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably 28 feet and the seller is estimating then.
That's a lot of weight for a jeep... even for a shorter one time distance. Although the one time distance doesn't bother me. I can do the highway drive at 3 in the morning with no traffic at city speeds if I have to. I'm just a little nervous at how the whole thing would perform on the boat ramp. It would have to driven a mile to the boat launch, dumped in, in the Spring, and pulled in the Fall, every year.

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
When it comes to towing over weight I have concerns about the rear cross member and factory hitch mount. When we towed heavy it was with a heavy duty steel bumper with its own hitch mount, that was also bolted to the frame rails.

It would make me nervous on the road to tow 5k+ pounds.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is way too big for a Jeep unless you are touring it across your yard.
80 miles?? No way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well... I don't mind the 80 miles. I can putter along at 40mph if I do it at 3 in the morning. It would be a one time trip. I have to go up a (roughly 25%) dirt grade to get it onto the property, and the thing would have to go in and get pulled out every year. Those are the parts that make me nervous. Stick it 4 low and pulling is not a problem, but if the jeep is too light and the wheels start spinning on the dirt....

I suppose I could always winch assist up... but it would be a pain doing that every year.

·
Commercial Member
7,957 Posts
All I'm saying is a lot can go wrong in 80 miles, if you are over gvw by that much and anything happens, good luck with the insurance co and lawyers

Find a buddy with a 3/4 ton truck and buy him a steak dinner

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
I’d only be half comfortable hooking that rig and trailer up to my Tundra. The trailer is old, assuming it has surge brakes on it, which frankly suck even when hooked up to a truck designed to handle that kind of load. And launching / loading a boat that large with a JKU will be a nightmare IMO. Ramps are famously slippery at the waterline. With a long 4X4 truck, the front tires are almost always on dry pavement at least. I’d rent a truck to pull it 80 miles at the very least.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Towing aside, if the best thing that can be said about that boat is that it floats and has a trailer, I'm running away.

Reactions: Keon

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
Towing a boat trailer is a bit different than towing a camper trailer. Tongue weight for a boat is typically on 5-7 percent with tandem axle trailers being at the lower end of that range. Assuming nor more than 6000 lbs trailer weight, tongue weight will not be an issue. What is at issue though will be the total weight of the trailer. All the hitches available for the JK are hybrid class 2/3 hitches and the biggest of the bunch is rated 675/4500 lbs. Not enough IMO for the job. But if you are willing to reroute exhaust there is a possibility of a custom hitch. I'm guessing a hybrid 3/4 instead.

Assuming they can McGiver a custom hitch for the total weight of the trailer I would pull it even with my 2 door. Keep the speed down to no more than 55mph, maintain intervals and brake early. As far as launch and recovery that would be trial and error. It is pretty amazing what you can do in 4lo. Back it days gone by I pulled a Ford LTD station wagon and a 24 foot wooden cabin cruiser out of Elliot Bay with my 77 F-250. The LTD was almost totally under water. Made the owner hook up the recovery strap and pretty much idle them out of the water, this was a gravel ramp. My Jeep weighs more than my F250 did.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Towing aside, if the best thing that can be said about that boat is that it floats and has a trailer, I'm running away.
It's called a project boat. It is to keep me busy of the next year or 2.... and while some of YOU may lack the skill and ambition... I don't

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Towing a boat trailer is a bit different than towing a camper trailer. Tongue weight for a boat is typically on 5-7 percent with tandem axle trailers being at the lower end of that range. Assuming nor more than 6000 lbs trailer weight, tongue weight will not be an issue. What is at issue though will be the total weight of the trailer. All the hitches available for the JK are hybrid class 2/3 hitches and the biggest of the bunch is rated 675/4500 lbs. Not enough IMO for the job. But if you are willing to reroute exhaust there is a possibility of a custom hitch. I'm guessing a hybrid 3/4 instead.

Assuming they can McGiver a custom hitch for the total weight of the trailer I would pull it even with my 2 door. Keep the speed down to no more than 55mph, maintain intervals and brake early. As far as launch and recovery that would be trial and error. It is pretty amazing what you can do in 4lo. Back it days gone by I pulled a Ford LTD station wagon and a 24 foot wooden cabin cruiser out of Elliot Bay with my 77 F-250. The LTD was almost totally under water. Made the owner hook up the recovery strap and pretty much idle them out of the water, this was a gravel ramp. My Jeep weighs more than my F250 did.
Well, I do tow a 20 foot aluminum (which I will be getting rid of if I get this) but then it's a h*ll of a lot lighter. It also looks like that "80 mile" drive has been reduced to about 25. Apparently this boat is out at the guy's cabin which isn't too far from us, so that's a bonus.

But yeah... I'll have to mcgiver something for the pull either way. Once it's up at the cabin, then it's just a matter of getting in and out of the boat launch every year. I guess for saftey's sake... the first time anyway, I can connect the winch to my son's car and stick him on higher ground in case the jeep struggles on the ramp... which I doubt... but better safe than sorry.

·
Retired Moderator
101,454 Posts
As for towing up a 25% grade, well my concern would be engine overheating.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As for towing up a 25% grade, well my concern would be engine overheating.
It's not a long grade.... 120 feet.... then levels, then goes again for another 30 or 40. It's the width of the whole thing that will be the twitchy part! The dirt road narrows down to the width of one car, and there is kind of a hairpin switchback included in that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Boat" AKA hole in the water you throw money into. Just kidding, I wouldn't worry about pulling it too much, it is the stopping part that would concern me. A jk or jku doesn't really weigh a whole lot to be trying to stop that kind of a load.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
It's called a project boat. It is to keep me busy of the next year or 2.... and while some of YOU may lack the skill and ambition... I don't
Post a follow-up pic when it's on the water. Have fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not a long grade.... 120 feet.... then levels, then goes again for another 30 or 40. It's the width of the whole thing that will be the twitchy part! The dirt road narrows down to the width of one car, and there is kind of a hairpin switchback included in that.
Can you rent or borrow a truck to haul it?

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Stock drivetrain
207 Posts
Boat projects sure are a way to kill time and money, however if you enjoy doing it have a blast. I think it is to large to tow with a JKU. You might be pushing it with it completely empty but add fuel, oil, gear and what-nots that go with boating and you will be over the limit.

BOAT= Bring On Another Thousand.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.