Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've towed our below listed JKUR with a 2010 Damon Challenger 368, class A, on the F53 chassis for several years now without a problem, until this trip . I follow the owners manual every time, auto trans in park, transfer case in neutral, key to "ACC" position. We have a Falcon 2 tow bar and a brake buddy system that plugs into the cigar lighter. We run a charging cord to the Jeep from the MH.

The Jeep was totally dead on both of our overnight stays, had to jump and charge both nights. Once we arrived at our place in SW Florida I started the motorhome and checked out the 7 pin connector on the MH, tested to 13.5 or so on the multimeter. Plugged the charging cord into the MH and tested the 6 pin connector at the end of the cord, same reading, about 13.5.

Next I started the Jeep and tested the battery, about 14.5. Plugged the charging cord in from the motor home, no change, 14.5. The MH and Jeep were running for this test.

I'm thinking I have a fuse issue on the Jeep.

Doe's anyone know which fuse, if there is one, is for this dilemma? I don't have an external fuse for the towing system so I'm assuming it's in the fuse box in the engine compartment of the Jeep.

Sorry for the book, just wanted to be clear of what exactly I'm dealing with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have over 30 years or experience with various types of RV's and I have several ideas about what may be causing your issue. First there is no need to have the key to acc when towing, not sure what type of draw there is on the battery in this position, something to check. If you have to have it on to have power to the cig lighter plug for the brake buddy, I would run a plug directly from the battery and leave the key off. Next is your charging circuit to the 7 pin connector on the motorhome working, you indicated having 13.5v at the connector, what is the voltage at the MH battery? Need to see how much voltage drop you have, it's a pretty long run from the front to the back and 13.5 is really not enough. I would connect everything up, start the MH, then check your voltage at the Jeep battery with and without the brakes applied. Another issue is very often the charge wire to your 7 pin connector is undersize, resulting in enough voltage drop that it is not keeping the Jeep battery charged. You really need 13.8-14.5 volts to get any significant charge into the Jeeps battery. If I were wiring up your 7 pin connector I would use a minimum of 8 gage wire and 6 gage might be better. It also maybe your MH alternator is failing or the Jeeps battery. If I remember correctly the brake buddy draws 10-15 amps but only when your on the brakes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts