Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all...
I'm looking to transport my son's 04 Liberty with my JK from CA to FL. Using the U-Haul online tool, they won't let me use an auto carrier or auto dolly. I was going to purchase a tow bar to attach to the Liberty and pull with my JK.
Does this sound like a sound plan? I know I need to disconnect the driveshaft on the Liberty since it is a RWD vehicle. But how would I attach the tow bar to the Liberty?
Any help would be appreciated.
As to why he's not driving it...he will be driving the minivan since my wife's condition prevents her from driving any more than 30 mins.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
No matter what you do you're overloading your JK. There is no JK that has a tow rating over 2,000. The JKU goes up to 3,500 pounds. But a Liberty ranges from 3,507 to 4,270 lbs. The Liberty probably has a higher tow rating then your JK.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's not a sound plan. The JK wheelbase is too short, the Liberty is too heavy, and the potential for a disaster for you and other drivers is high. I don't think you'll want to see the Liberty pass you on the highway. You probably would be better off putting the JK on a trailor and pulling it with the Liberty if the JK and trailor weight are within the Liberty's tow limits. At 5,000 lbs., that's most likely not going to work either. You'll have to find another way. CA to FL is a long haul.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't have an answer to your specific question, but maybe tow your JK with the Liberty if the Liberty has a higher tow rating.

Also, it might be more economical to ship the Liberty to FL if that's a possibility. I've shipped 2 vehicles using uship.com and in both cases it would have been cheaper for me to ship the vehicles and then find a cheap flight to meet the vehicles then it would have been to drive it home.

FYI, uship.com is a site where you post what you want to move / where it's going, and truck/cargo drives post their price on what they would charge to transport it for you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Most Liberty's are rated to tow 5000 lbs, the Wrangler is rated to tow 2000 lbs. Towing the JK with the Liberty is a better idea, but even that is pushing things right to the max.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I second the tow with the liberty not the JK. I flat towed jkur with my 2005 liberty crd (5000 lbs tow limit) from CA to FL. Wasn't too bad on flat/low hills pretty much did speed limit and took it easy. Any mountains and you are going to have to slow way down. I usually unhooked through the mountains and let the wife drive one and I drove the other one. By law you will need a supplemental braking system + emergency break away system. Cheapest I found was the ready brake for $500. Emergency break away will be another $100. Most of the rest are ~$1000

I am about to do it going the other way in about 2 months. I get to move every 2-3 years so it was worth the investment for the ready brake for me.

If liberty has 4wd with AWD (full time/the on you can use on pavement ) capability I recommend putting it in AWD. Made it alot more stable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Let me clarify...

This is a JK Unlimited Sahara.

How does this change your suggestions?
It doesn't change my suggestion. jku still can only two 3500lbs. And from personal experience it won't work. Liberty broke down and I towed it with JKU about 3 blocks home doing less than 30mph. It was not a comfortable experience if I ever have to go further i am calling a tow truck.

·
Registered
33,936 Posts
It is over your tow limit. A JKU (4 door) can only tow 3500 it will be illegal and not safe at all. Please don't do it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Let me clarify...

This is a JK Unlimited Sahara.

How does this change your suggestions?
Not really. Here is why. Unless you know the weight of your Liberty there is a good chance you'll be over weight. Plus To tow your Liberty behind your JKU you'll need a tow bar, safety chains, brake lights and brakes. No brakes? You're towing a 4000# object that has no way of stopping.

I own a JKU and a Liberty, I would not consider pulling the Liberty with my JKU at highway speeds.

There are shipping services which can move your Liberty that would be safer and perhaps cheaper than buying all the towing gear. If not ask your son if he has a friend that would drive it, then fly him back home.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, any heavy towing with the JK sucks. I towed my son's KIA Soul from Delaware to North Carolina with a U-Haul Dolly and it was at the max recommend range. A couple of aggressive stops glazed my front rotors and pads.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh buddy!! I'm sure glad you asked that! Now maybe some of the flak I got when I asked about towing a TJ with a Chrysler minivan will stop. Towing is one thing....stopping is another!!
It sound like you now have a good plan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts