Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of buying a new Jeep, most likely an Unlimited. What is the maximum towing capacity of this vehicle? How much have you towed behind yours? Transmission cooler, is that an option? I want to trade in my pickup truck for a new Jeep and the boat I tow is about 4,100 pounds. Any suggestions?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
That puts you 600 lbs over the limit. The Wrangler Unlimited with tow package is only rated at 3500#'s.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can't tow 4100 lb with the Wrangler Unlimited. It is rated 3500 lb with the tow package installed. You may be able to tow that much for at distance, but it would put excessive strain on the drivetrain and it wouldn't be safe (needless to say that it would void your warranty and your insurance company may decline coverage if you get in an accident). For safe towing you should keep the trailer weight below 75-80% of your vehicle rating. For 4100 lb, you should have at at least 5000 lb rating, and preferably 6000 lb.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
You can't tow 4100 lb with the Wrangler Unlimited. It is rated 3500 lb with the tow package installed. You may be able to tow that much for at distance, but it would put excessive strain on the drivetrain and it wouldn't be safe (needless to say that it would void your warranty and your insurance company may decline coverage if you get in an accident). For safe towing you should keep the trailer weight below 75-80% of your vehicle rating. For 4100 lb, you should have at at least 5000 lb rating, and preferably 6000 lb.
:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts