Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 X with the 4.0 5 speed. Is it possible to tow a 69 mustang coupe with a tow dolly behind it??? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
That's very dangerous. Your jeep, even if it pulled it ok, could never stop the weight of both vehicles.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
dont forget man wrangler is only 3200lb.. the mustang is heavier than the wrangler... I rather tow the wrangler to the mustang.. :) with brakes on the trailer is the only way I would tow that kind of stuff..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tow a 21 foot boat with my 99 4.0 5speed and it tows fine but a little scary when braking. The boat does weigh more than my jeep and I found out when backing my boat down the ramp and all four tires locked up and I had to do a controlled slide into the water. So I would not reccomend towing the stang.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
The TJ's maximum safe tow weight is 2,000 lbs. That limit is there due to the Wrangler's short wheelbase as the brakes and engine are the same as used in longer-wheelbase models of Jeeps that have significantly higher towing limits.

Towing a heavy load like a 21' boat or that Mustang behind a SWB Wrangler would be a great opportunity to learn what the phrase 'the tail wagging the dog' means when you have to do an emergency maneuver. :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The TJ's maximum safe tow weight is 2,000 lbs. That limit is there due to the Wrangler's short wheelbase as the brakes and engine are the same as used in longer-wheelbase models of Jeeps that have significantly higher towing limits.

Towing a heavy load like a 21' boat or that Mustang behind a SWB Wrangler would be a great opportunity to learn what the phrase 'the tail wagging the dog' means when you have to do an emergency maneuver. :eek:
keep in mind the longer wheel base is heavier as well. this changes the traction on the tires and balance of the tower vs the towed. i think if the trailer had its own braking system, then you should be able to no problem.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
keep in mind the longer wheel base is heavier as well. this changes the traction on the tires and balance of the tower vs the towed. i think if the trailer had its own braking system, then you should be able to no problem.
Yall can do it if ya want, but if you're towing through Mississippi, warn me and I'll stay off the roads 'til yall are out of here. I don't like living dangerously anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont worry not going to do it and im way out in vegas any how. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Been looking for a travel trailer/camper to tow behind mine, but I have to agree with Amerijeep here. My jeep already acts like a sailboat on the road without towing something. I did tow a flatbed trailer loaded with junk that weighed in at around 3200 but I stayed under 30mph and the junk yard is only about 15 miles from here on back roads. I would also be worried about the clutch hauling anything to heavy for a long time.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I got a little 4' x 8' trailer I use to haul stuff to supplement not having a truck bed. I "moved" a 16' trailer about 50 feet once for a neighbor. Something that long is very difficult to maneuver with the SWB jeep. The fact is, they just aint made to tow large loads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts