Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a trailer to tow w my JKU. I know the max is 3500lbs. The trailer I'm looking at is 2800 dry, so packing lightly will have to do. My question is, has anyone had any real prob w towing in their JK? Obviously the proper hitch, sway bars and brake control will be used in my case. Is the jeep totally bogged down or does it pull decently? Thanks for your input, all is welcomed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I towed a 5x10 utility trailer that weighs around 650 lbs with 2 dirtbikes and gear for camping for a long weekend. towed fine, but does bog down quite a bit on the hills.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have pulled a 5x12 utility trailer around. Not sure of the weight. Pulled very easily. I wish they had a tow button, mine seemed to hold gears for extra extra long while pulling it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
my jeep broke down in a nother city, After picking it up i towed my cherokee on trailer back to my town about 5000 with trailer not to much trouble at all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just towed for the first time over the weekend in my '12 JKU 6spd and the trailer was a 5x11 diamond plate steel flat bed utility trailer with sides and I would estimate it at 1500 lbs empty weight, I needed to pick up 24 bags of concrete (80 pounds each)

So that was approx 2K pounds in payload and the Jeep towed it like a dream. Sure I could feel that it was back there but even on slight hills it just pulled right on through.

I would say the total weight was close to 3500 and it was fine. I'm not sure what kinda trailer your looking at but that seems awfully heavy for an empty trailer you might want to look at other options (read lighter trailer) so incase you would need to tow something heavy you wont be to far over the rated capacity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tow about 3500 pounds pretty regularly. The Jeep breaks a sweat going up steep hills, but it gets there. And I highly recommend trailer brakes at that weight. Watch your tongue weight - 350 is the limit, and a properly loaded 3500 pound trailer will be just about 350. If your trailer is front-heavy, get a weight distribution hitch to even things out and move some of that weight to the front axle.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
At first you said JKU...then JK.

Is it a 2 door or 4 door? If it is a 2 door...get a different vehicle to tow with. It isn't a matter of being able to pull it...it is a matter of being able to control and stop it.

If it is a 4 door...stick or auto?
If it is a stick...what gear ratio?
If it is an auto, get an external cooler.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try to find a more light weight trailer that is kind of pushing it for an empty trailer. I'm sure you can find something more light weight, think carbon fiber trailer (just kidding that'd be more then a full AEV hemi Jeep), anyway if you have 3.21s I would say no way, if you have 3.73s and you are just throwing like a bike in there that should be ok, but still kind of pushing it.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Auto 2010 JKU on 3.73's?

Pack light....as you will be pushing the limits already. And add an external cooler.

A 2010 JKU auto pulling 3000 pounds is going to be pretty slow.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
that sounds like an RV camper trailer, yes?

If so.....how long, how high?

I've towed camper trailers over much of the past 40 years. It never really has been an issue as far as "getting the trailer moving forward".

The real issues are stopping, turning, and various aerodynamic twitches due to passing 18 wheelers, wind, sudden gusts, the odd shifts in drag around tunnels and in river canyons or on coastal hiways.

And don't believe what the salesman tells you about 'sure it can pull it'. Run the specific rig across a scale to determine what the set-up actually DOES weigh when ready to go down the road. Two people adding regular camp gear plus food, water in tanks, etc.....PLUS the oh-so-necessary traveling memorial anvil collection, easily adds 1000# before you can stand up & turn around.

If you've enjoyed unexpected 'hood flutter' just wait until 'tail wag' at highway speed hits.

I've had far more comfortable towing experiences when the tow rig out weighs the towed trailer by nearly a 2:1 margin. 1/2 ton pick up was not pleasant towing loaded 3200# 24' camp trailer; 3/4 ton pick up did just fine.....different gearing, heavier tow beast, better brakes. That trailer was replaced with one a FOOT lower roof line, made a LOT of difference in aero-loading factors.

Smaller lighter for more enjoyment IMHO.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
pulled a 2000 lb double axle trailer with a fridge, washer & dryer from 5000 to 7600 feet over about 20 miles. No problem. Did downshift a bit going up the steep inclines but not more than you would expect. No overheating.
Trailer brakes make a world of difference. I have pulled the same trailer up the hill, down the hill with and without the trailer brakes, loaded and unloaded.
Going down the hill with a load & without the brakes requires paying a little more attention but was not a problem although I had to watch the stopping distance more carefully.
With the added brake controller, there was a major difference. My stopping distance drastically decreased. I think it even stopped better WITH the trailer attached (unloaded of course) than the JKU does under normal driving - 6 brakes instead of 4.
That having been said I have both the trans & oil cooler on my 2012.
Still looking for a real receiver bumper though.
Yes there are a lot out there, I just have not found anything yet that really like.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Can you do it? yes. Do others do it? absolutely. Would I do it? No way...

I have had many RV's over the years from tent trailers to 5th wheels to my current motor home and as a previous poster replied its not getting it moving or really even towing it. Its getting it stopped and how will it handle in adverse conditions. In the case of a Jeep they don't handle that great at highway speed to begin with now hook up even a short travel trailer say 13' long 8' high side wall and pull it in a strong cross wind in my mind you will defiantly experience some pucker. Having said that Friday's at the local gas stations around here will show you all kinds of rigs that are within their published spec limits the most recent one that comes to mind a early 2000s Durango towing (9000 lb towing limit) a triple axle trailer boat :nonono: I asked which way he was going because I did not want to be behind him :rofl:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really appreciate all the great feed back! It's a travel trailer 19' long 9' tall. I'm only looking to use it for jeep runs to keep the wife and kids happy so I can play haha. Would having a electronic brake control and sway bars on the trailer help enough to not "pucker"?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I really appreciate all the great feed back! It's a travel trailer 19' long 9' tall. I'm only looking to use it for jeep runs to keep the wife and kids happy so I can play haha. Would having a electronic brake control and sway bars on the trailer help enough to not "pucker"?
I tow a similar sized travel trailer. Weight distribution, sway control and electronic brake controller are a must.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill be taking a test tow before I take total possession of the trailer to see how it'll do. Your feed back is what I needed. Thanks a lot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts