Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how well does it pull a camper or large boat? thinking of getting rid of my tj and truck to get one badass jeep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
how well does it pull a camper or large boat? thinking of getting rid of my tj and truck to get one badass jeep!

I didn't have any issue towing my popup camper with my 2013 JKU Sahara w/3.21 gears.

Have yet to put a 7 pin harness on my 2017 JKURHR.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Does a great job within the stated limits. I sold my truck and car to get the jeep, and use it to tow my pop up and anything else I need. Skip the tow package, get a hitch and the Mopar 7 pin kit and install it yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I have towed a lot with both my JKUs. I had a 2010 before my 2014. I towed two heavy Seadoo watercraft for years. My father-in-laws boat puts me near max so I changed the brakes to the Dynatrac Pro Grip system. My only issue when towing his boat is heating up on hills. Control is good as long as you remember you are towing and don't get crazy. The four door stance is good as long as you stay within the weight limits.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Be very careful... Jeeps have a very short wheelbase, even 4 door Jeeps. They are barely longer than a Toyota Camry (7 inches). I once saw a Wrangler make a sharp swerve while merging into traffic pulling a trailer. The trailer made him lose control of the vehicle and crash into the side of the BRIDGE we were on. It was a low profile utility trailer with wood. Maybe 1500 pounds total.

Make sure the trailer is within the weight and profile limits, as well as equipped with electric trailer brakes that are properly calibrated. Keep you air pressures even so it pulls straight and true.

When towing capacity comes to mind, engine is only the third thing I think of... I first think of wheelbase, then rear suspension/payload rating. Then engine, transmission, tires, brakes, gearing, hitch.

Speaking of hitch I would recommend a weight distribution hitch if the trailer will catch a lot of wind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tow a maverick 18 hpx-v with mine and it handles it like a champ. I do however want stronger braking so I am looking hard at the dynatrac pro grip kit since my trailer has no brakes.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. that helps

·
Registered
323 Posts
While on the subject, can anyone clarify for me the meaning of "max towing capacity" vs "max payload?"
If the towing capacity is 3500 lb and the max payload is 1220 lb, does that mean that I can fill my vehicle with persons and cargo totaling 1220 lb and also tow up to 3500 lb behind me?

·
Registered
461 Posts

My next door neighbor pulled a 4500 lbs boat with his JKU. He said he didn't have an issue but that is over what Jeep says to tow. I probably would not do it for legal reasons.

I pulled my 3000 lbs loaded trailer trailer without issue. Actually it was probably more because the camper was 2800 lbs dry. No issues to report. A weight distribution hitch and electric brakes are a must unless you are towing a small camper (under 2000 lbs) in my opinion.

However, once you start lifting and adding larger tires the towing suffers.

Good luck!

Reactions: Christi Lynn

·
Registered
60 Posts
While on the subject, can anyone clarify for me the meaning of "max towing capacity" vs "max payload?"
If the towing capacity is 3500 lb and the max payload is 1220 lb, does that mean that I can fill my vehicle with persons and cargo totaling 1220 lb and also tow up to 3500 lb behind me?
I t means that the carrying capacity is 1220 lbs. That has to include tongue weight of the trailer you are pulling.

You can pull to 3500lbs, but you can only put 1220 lbs into the Jeep, total.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Well take into account torque... I'm not sure how those numbers are measured but 1220 pounds on the hitch, a foot away from the rear springs, is 12 times the force as it is an inch away from the rear springs.

·
For The Horde!
77 Posts
Another Question I might as well just drop in here:
My sister ought a boat and stores it near a marina, not in the water, about 500ft from the launch. The boat's dry weight is 3660 lbs (Yamaha AR240) but lets assume there is some stuff in it so 4,000 lbs. We also have a pretty light boat trailer that it sits on. My jeep is a 2016 JK Sahara with the aftermarket Quadratec hitch installed. I'm not worried about towing the boat 500ft, but pulling it out of the launch might stress it out. I figure the 3,500 lb tow rating is calculated for people going 60mph on the highway with 3,500lbs in tow, not for short trips.

Would I be doing any damage to my jeep if I towed a 4,000 lb boat the 500 ft to the launch and back out?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Another Question I might as well just drop in here:
My sister ought a boat and stores it near a marina, not in the water, about 500ft from the launch. The boat's dry weight is 3660 lbs (Yamaha AR240) but lets assume there is some stuff in it so 4,000 lbs. We also have a pretty light boat trailer that it sits on. My jeep is a 2016 JK Sahara with the aftermarket Quadratec hitch installed. I'm not worried about towing the boat 500ft, but pulling it out of the launch might stress it out. I figure the 3,500 lb tow rating is calculated for people going 60mph on the highway with 3,500lbs in tow, not for short trips.

Would I be doing any damage to my jeep if I towed a 4,000 lb boat the 500 ft to the launch and back out?
I wouldnt worry a single bit about putting the boat in and pulling it out. You can always throw it in 4lo and make it real easy.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I hooked up my Malibu Wakesetter and towed it around the block...once, mostly for the photo op(same colors). Never again, unless it is an absolute emergency. It weighs 5k with the trailer though.

However, I tow an M101A2 with an RTT and it is fine. Don't even know it is back there except for the fuel mileage and it shifts a bit more.

I do run 4.56 gears as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, you can fill the vehicle with 1220 lbs and tow a 3500 trailer as long as you don't exceed the GCWR. For best towing, the tongue weight of a trailer should be 13-15% of the trailer weight. 10% is the absolute minimum. So, in your example, 455 lbs of your payload would be used up buy the trailer tongue weight so you could actually only put 765 lbs inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hooked up my Malibu Wakesetter and towed it around the block...once, mostly for the photo op(same colors). Never again, unless it is an absolute emergency. It weighs 5k with the trailer though.

However, I tow an M101A2 with an RTT and it is fine. Don't even know it is back there except for the fuel mileage and it shifts a bit more.

I do run 4.56 gears as well.
I bet that combination is really squirrely. Just looking at the pic I can see the front axle has been unloaded to the point where the steer tires will have significantly less control. A good WDH would transfer some of the rear end weight back to the front.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You'll be fine with that. Towing capacities are mostly for highway driving as you said.

I use my Jeep to pull a car hauler I borrow from a friend. It's parked in the grass and when it's been raining, my truck will get stuck. I'll pull it a quarter mile less than 40 MPH. Still within my legal towing capacity but my Jeep isn't very safe by itself, much less with a trailer. I've also pulled another Jeep using a strap, on the street.

I've pulled out trucks, other Jeeps, cars, trees, brush, etc. Most are well over my 2000 pound towing capacity but that doesn't have to do anything with recovery.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I bet that combination is really squirrely. Just looking at the pic I can see the front axle has been unloaded to the point where the steer tires will have significantly less control. A good WDH would transfer some of the rear end weight back to the front.

I WOULD NEVER seriously tow with that setup. Basically pulled it down to the carwash to hose down the trailer at 15 mph.

Combination of soft springs, lift, heavy tongue weight and it being at least 1500 lbs over the tow rating makes it just flat dangerous. At least the trailer has surge brakes.

I have a hemi Durango with a 7100 lb tow rating that I tow with. Much more suitable. One of the reasons I went with a Durango over a GC is the longer wheel base (for towing and 3rd row) Trailer doesn't even squat the durango.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts