Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased Wrangler has no hookups up front for a towbar. Is it as simple as fabricating and attaching a tow bar? Will the bumper suffice? Or do I have to do the whole plate deal with a purpose built towbar? I hope these questions aren't redundant-I did poke around.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the tow shackles. I have currie shackles, but I have a harbor freight tow bar. You can buy a harbor freight bar and use the stock bumper, but I would re-enforce it like crazy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
tow lights

When I set up my 94 YJ for being towed, I already had it set up for towing my 29' self contained trailer. So, I had a 7pin connector. I also had a 4 pin female paralleled with the 7 pin for light towing.

I put 10A inline diodes in the brake-turn/tail light wires where they pass under the drivers door. That way power could only flow from the front to the back.

Then I ran a 3 wire from the back to the front with enough in the front to extend to the towing vehicle. I installed a 4 pin male plug on the back and a male plug on the front. I then plugged a short lead female four pin on the front and taped the ends back along the cable.

I leave the 4 pins connected in the back because of corrosion. That makes the plug on the front hot with pins exposed. That is the reason for the extra plug on the front.

If I want to tow something light, with the 4 pin, I just unplug the one to the front and plug in the trailer. If I want to tow the YJ, I just unplug the dummy on the front and plug the 4 pin male into the towing vehicle.

If you have a 7 pin on the towing vehicle you can just install a 7 pin plug on the YJ and be good to go.

When not being towed, but ready, the tow bar is locked up and the cord is coiled. If I take the tow bar off, I just coil the cord and stuff it back behind the grill.

To install the dioes, I just found the right wire in the loom under the door, cut the wire, slipped some shrink wrap over it, spliced in the diode, being sure to get the right direction, and installed the shrink wrap over it.

What does anyone else do for lights on the YJ when being towed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts