Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

2015, Jeep wrangler Sahara Unlimited 3.21 rear axle ratio. :awesome:

So i just called the dealership and they informed me i can tow up to 3,500pds.
okay sweet, so i ordered a hitch and ball mount rated to 3,500pds from amazon .
Brilliant, so now my girlfriend and i are looking to rent this https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/RV/
to move all of our belongings to our new home 2 hours away, and we are trying to figure out if we have all our ducks in a row with weight and tow capabilities.

So if some of you guys wouldn't mind helping me sort out the difference between GCWR max / GTW max / and the trailer weights itself that would be great. :pullinghair:

Thanks ahead of time.:worthy:
-Beaches :beerme:

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
According to the owners' manuals printed for Canadian and US 2015 vehicles sold in Canada and the US have tow ratings for an Unlimited with 3.21 gears at 2,000 lbs.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
so is the trailer I linked to much or are we alright ?
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/RV/
The empty weight of that trailer is 1920lbs, and I am pretty sure your jeep is rated to tow 2000lbs. You can legally put 80lbs in the trailer.

I am not going to tell you to "just do it", but you probably wont die.

Uhaul trailers are extremely heavy and overbuilt, they make them to last forever. Since you are just going 2 hours, you could possibly find a lighter trailer. I know around here hardware stores have a few trailers for rent, and they are a lot lighter. You might have to make an extra drive but it will be legal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man this is so confusing, i just got off the phone with Uhaul and asked the tech guy if my jeep(gave him all the specs) could tow his trailer (6x12) with everything in our apartment loaded up.

he explained it like this,
the hitch we bought is rated for 3,500pds
and the emptied weight of the trailer is 1,920pds
so 3500
=1580
so we could put up to 1,580pds inside the trailer, and im thinking we wont exceed 500pds, 1k at most with our 1 couch 2 chairs, and all these boxes

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Don't know if you have a hard top, but I've read that Uhaul won't let you hook up if it's a ragtop.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
man this is so confusing, i just got off the phone with Uhaul and asked the tech guy if my jeep(gave him all the specs) could tow his trailer (6x12) with everything in our apartment loaded up.

he explained it like this,
the hitch we bought is rated for 3,500pds
and the emptied weight of the trailer is 1,920pds
so 3500
=1580
so we could put up to 1,580pds inside the trailer, and im thinking we wont exceed 500pds, 1k at most with our 1 couch 2 chairs, and all these boxes
The hitch don't mean jack if the vehicle can't handle the weight. I can toss a class whatever hitch rated for 10000 LBS on my Jeep. It doesn't mean the Jeep can tow 10000 LBS. You're just asking for a lawsuit if something were to happen with you towing way over the weight limit. Don't chance it.

With the trailer alone weighing 1920 LBS, you can legally only put 80 pounds in it, as mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
i also called the dealership and they said i can tow up to 3,500
It wouldn't be the first time a dealer provided incorrect information. I'm not going to tell you to tow over 2K or not. All I'm providing is the accurate info. from the 2015 Canadian and US manuals. Of course a dealer can say whatever they want, but if there's damage to any components due to towing 1500 lbs. over weight, will the dealer honor the warranty? Maybe, maybe not. They sometimes get short memories if it isn't in writing. I have no opinion on max tow rates for JK's. It's up to you. As long as you are aware that the dealer is incorrect for 15 JK's. I believe the tow rates were increased for 2016, even with 3.21 gears. Why, I have no idea. Edit. I checked the 16 manual. Unlimiteds with 3.21's is still 2000 lbs. Your call.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I was to up my gear ratio on the jeep would that help ?
also, maybe ill just get a smaller trailer, so everyone is at a consensus as this Jeep of mine is 2000pds towing cap max is this correct. ?
If I have to toss the couch then fine it'll get tossed, :happyyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
According to the owners manual it is 2,000 lbs. If they trailer weighs 1920 lbs. all you can "safely" tow is 80 lbs. of cargo. The problem isn't with the engine it is with the suspension and braking systems. If you want to play it safe consider renting something better equipped for towing, or a cargo van.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
If I was to up my gear ratio on the jeep would that help ?
also, maybe ill just get a smaller trailer, so everyone is at a consensus as this Jeep of mine is 2000pds towing cap max is this correct. ?
If I have to toss the couch then fine it'll get tossed, :happyyes:
Yes, 2000 LBS is your max limit. As for the re gearing you're looking around $1,200-$1,500 USD ($1,700-$2,125 CAD ) depending on the shop. I'm just basing that off of what I've seen posted on this forum on what folks paid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a good few people that could do it with me, just the parts im sure are costly, but thank you guys 10,000 x over for clearing this up before i fu:censored:d my self over.!!!

a guess a last quick question would be, what would be a good gear ratio for front and back/ for towing and 35" tires ?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i have a good few people that could do it with me, just the parts im sure are costly, but thank you guys 10,000 x over for clearing this up before i fu:censored:d my self over.!!! a guess a last quick question would be, what would be a good gear ratio for front and back/ for towing and 35" tires ?
4.10 or 4.56

For your move, since it is only a 2 hr drive, can't you just rent a truck and then come back for the jeep?

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would try and get a lighter weight trailer and tow away. Big part of your equation is the empty trailer weight. A lighter trailer will allow you to haul more weight legally / safely .

I built a small trailer as light as possible for gear hauling. Fiber glass sides only 4 x 6.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts