Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone tow a pop up camper with their Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ? I have a 2006 and wanting to tow a pop up camper. Was wondering if anybody has towed with this model jeep and can give me any insight.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not sure what size your thinking, but the smaller ones are pretty light and would be no problem. Get a good hitch that has hoops for safety chains. Many of the aftermarket bumpers do NOT have them.

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
I would recommend one that attaches to the frame separate from the bumper as they tuck up under the rear bumper. Now, if you see an aftermarket rear bumper that you like and also has the hitch receiver and chain loops, that will be ok as well. The previous owner of my TJ had one like that installed. The installer also attached by clip ons the four flat wire pigtail. He then removed the bumper ends (called the milk jugs by many) and just stuck the end with the trailer connector into the bumper. I have removed that and gone with the Quadratec plug and play trailer wiring kit which comes with a bracket to hold the vehicle end of the connector.

The maximum towing capacity for the Jeep TJ is 2000 pounds with a 200# tongue weight. The max towing for the LJ (TJ Unlimited) is 3500 pounds with a 350 pound tongue weight (longer body).

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
The maximum towing capacity for the Jeep TJ is 2000 pounds with a 200# tongue weight. The max towing for the LJ (TJ Unlimited) is 3500 pounds with a 350 pound tongue weight (longer body).
That’s only for the 6-cylinder. Keep in mind the 4-cylinder TJ’s only have a 1,000lb towing capacity

·
Registered
177 Posts
Search "camper" on the site. There are a ton of recommendations out there. I just switched computers so I don't have any photos handy but I tow a Runaway Cool Camp. It's not a pop-up so not exactly what you were asking about. The runaway tows well with my 05 TJ and handles wooded trails just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts