Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my choice down to these two tires Toyo Open Country MT or BFG KM2.

One tire installer said the Toyo was the better of the two; rounder and smoother riding.

My off road use is nasty slick mud to sharp lava rocks.

Opinions.

Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
If you wheel where sharp rocks are, I would only run Goodyear's MT/R which has a kevlar reinforced sidewall and is known to stand up to sharp rocks. It certainly does for me and that's what my TJ is most usually found wheeling in.

I don't know about Toyo's Open Country MT but BFG's Mud Terrain KM2 is notoriously easy to cut in sharp rocks.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Out of those two I'm going with the KM2s :thumb:

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
378 Posts
Ive got the KM2s 33x10.5 and could not be happier. Have handled everything I have been able to throw at it thus far...clay, mud and rocks. They ride very smooth and are quiet on the road.

I believe the km2s are also lighter than the toyos, but someone can correct me if im wrong.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
For those recommending the KM2... let's not forget he said he wheels in sharp rocks and asked about tires that could stand up to that specific condition.

The KM2's sidewalls simply are not able to withstand sharp rocks, they cut and puncture too easily when confronted by that type of rock which is common here in SOCAL. Which is why BFG came out with their Krawler for such conditions. The only two radial tires I will recommend for sharp rocks is the BFG Krawler and Goodyear MT/R. Since the Krawler is such an expensive tire that doesn't wear well on the street, that's why I recommended the Goodyear MT/R above. It is less expensive, wears well on the street, and is well proven among those who constantly wheel in sharp rocks. I've had my share of cut sidewalls but haven't had any since converting to the newer kevlar reinforced MT/R from Goodyear.

·
Registered
470 Posts
IMO my BFG KM2's rank way better than tons of tires I have tried (owned Jeeps, Rovers, 4runners and had just about everything both expensive and cheap). Especially for that slick nasty mud, they clear extremely well and ride great on the road. I don't have to worry about sharp rocks around here though...I have never owned Toyo's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I will never again go with toyos they r way to heavy I got shxt for gas mileage and didn't get any miles out of the tire Bfg r nice but I don't know how they handle in sharp rocks I want a set of krawlers but they r really expensive

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
KM2s hands down.....
In spite of the fact he said he wheels in sharp rocks and the KM2 is well known by those who actually wheel in sharp rocks to be cut prone in such conditions?

The KM2 is a great tire for most wheeling conditions... except in sharp rocks.

The bias-ply Super Swamper is well known to have a tough sidewall but the below shows a prime example of what happens to even Super Swamper sidewalls in sharp rocks. I had to seal a cut sidewall the same way in the middle of Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley but mine had an even bigger sidewall cut and it took 25-30 tire plugs before it would hold air. That was before I switched to the kevlar reinforced MT/R.

Wheeling in sharp rocks is nothing to be taken lightly. Most tires do not stand up to sharp rocks and the KM2 is one that does not. I think too many here are either ignoring that he said he needs it to hold up to sharp rocks or simply aren't aware how sharp some rocks can be.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have run both tires (BFG M/Ts). I currently run 35x13.50 Toyos. Toyos are much quieter on the road then the BFGs. They are a heavy tire, I believe they are about 100 lbs when mounted. I run 4.88's so I can comment on the gas mileage thing. I get about 17 mpg with my set up. I like the BFG's but my vote is for the Toyo's.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tires

Over the years I have always run with BFG's, but have destroyed two tires from sidewall puntures (rocks and tree limb spikes when crawling over logs). Now run the Toyos with no damage from rocks or tree spikes.33-12.50x15", rims are 15x8 alloy. I was sold on the Toyos when checking the sidewalls at Les Swab tire center. Difference was night and day. Run them at 10psi in the rocks, and 6psi in the snow here in Northern Calif with no bead locks. The Toyos are heavy, but I don't like getting flats when wheeling. 456 gears, 4-1 transfer, 5sp AX15, 4.0. Had them on the TJ for two years, and are showing very little signs of wear, can go down the highway at 70 all day long. Trails been on include Fordyce, Rubicon, Barett Lake, Snake Lake, plus lots of loging roads. :)

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
I hear sharp rocks and my mind goes right to GY MTR-K's should be at the top of the persons list of tires to buy..

·
Registered
569 Posts
If your Jeep is a DD, I would advise you to stay away from the Toyo's. I just got rid of my 33" Toyo M/Ts. They were great for wheeling, but sucked for DD use. Mounted on 18 inch rims, they were 110 pounds a piece! I went with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and I'm a much happier Jeeper!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Powertrip said:
If your Jeep is a DD, I would advise you to stay away from the Toyo's. I just got rid of my 33" Toyo M/Ts. They were great for wheeling, but sucked for DD use. Mounted on 18 inch rims, they were 110 pounds a piece! I went with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and I'm a much happier Jeeper!
How much lighter is a 35" km2 compared to a 35" toyo?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
How much lighter is a 35" km2 compared to a 35" toyo?
BFG KM2 - 35x12.5/15 - 61lbs (tirerack.com)
TOYO MT - 35x13.5/15 - 79lbs (toyotires.com)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with the MT/Rs for your conditions, but if you are set on either of these two I'd say the BFGs are a no brainer.

I don't understand the obsession with Toyo MTs, they suck. I ran a set of 33"s on my Ram when I had it and they rode like crap. Their is a reason you mostly only see them on lifted showy trucks that aren't actually used for four wheelin. Most of those trucks just get crappy Tuff Country lifts from the local Les Schwab, and Toyo is the brand they push.

KM2s are legit. Loved the set I had on my Cherokee.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts