Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't really speak from personal experience, but a friend of mine has them on his Jeep and they are LOUD when it comes to road noise. I test drove a Jeep before buying mine a few weeks ago that had Toyos on it, and the road noise from it was more than I could take.
I have the Fuel MT's on my JK, and have been very pleased with the ride and the minimal road noise. I've been a Nitto guy for many years, so I would recommend looking at either the Fuel or the Nitto's if you want a quieter ride.
Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have the RTs. road noise isnt that bad. I dont notice em with the soft top on nor did I notice much difference from the stock tires with the top down and doors off. I dont drive a tremendous amount but Ive used them in mud, clay, rock, ice, rain, etc and the wear doesnt seem excessive so far.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just got mine today. I'll be mounting them up this weekend and will update on initial thoughts.
I've been researching these tires for a while now, and will say this is the first time I've seen anyone say they are loud.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As I said in my post, I really don't have that much experience with them other than riding in my bud's JK and test driving a JK with the Toyo's on it. My opinion is that they are louder than the Nitto's I had on my truck by a long ways, and louder than the Fuels I currently have on my JK (35's). It's really all subjective...what one person hears may sound completely different to another. I'm not bashing Toyo's, from what I have heard and read they are great tires. I'm sure the OP will make the right decision and be pleased with it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. What size did you go with? On stock wheels and suspension or did you upgrade those?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 35 x 13.5 x 20 toyo r/t and LOVE the tire. Toyo figured out how to make a cross between the M/T and the A/T and came up with the R/T. The R/T is MUCH quieter than the M/Ts and slightly more than the A/T. You get a mild humming noise but nothing as loud as an M/T or the Nitto's which creates a lot more road noise. GREAT road handling and smooth ride. You will feel a stiffer ride because they are a E rated tire. Toyo is the only tire company that I know of to offer a 45000 mile warranty on their large tires. Have them now over 5000 miles and if they continues to preform I would purchase them again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had them installed on the jeep 3 weeks ago. Only put on 120 miles on them this far, and love them. They are very quiet in my opinion even on the highway. All in all, I really love these tires and would recommend them to anyone looking to get a set. I didn't try them off road yet, so can't speak for that.

I'm running 35x12.50x20 with Pro Comp wheels.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's great to hear the positive comments about the Toyo RTs, and that my experience was the exception.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
First time I've heard them described as loud also. I can tell you, that's not my personal experience.

I've run them for about 7k miles so far in a 35 x 17. I think they're great tires and surprisingly quiet! They feel great on and off road. Also, I've run them through some really sloppy mud and the traction I got was much better than anticipated. They also clear lugs very well. If you're looking for something more aggressive than an AT but don't want the limited tread life of an MT, these are a great alternative.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone running the Toyo Open Country R/T in 33x12.5/18 on a stock JKU with no lift?

I will be putting them on a KMC or Fuel wheel with a proper 4.5" backspace.

Just curious if anyone has put this package on and what sort of rubbing you experienced or trimming it required. The 33x12.5 in 18" size measures exactly 32.8" tall. So not even a full 33". With the 4.5" backspacing I am hoping I will be ok without a lift with some minor trimming of the air dam.

The reason for not wanting a lift is that I really don't want the Jeep any taller. My wife will drive it a bunch and I have a 2yo and 3mo old boy and don't want the hassle of my wife having to lift them up into a Jeep. Also just want the look of a big meaty tire without much compromise for on-road handling. This is a 90% on-road Jeep.

Was set on the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 until I realized they don't make a 12.5 wide in 18" wheel size. Don't think they make a 12.5 wide in 17" either so that one was crossed off the list. Any advice or pics if anyone is running the Toyo would be great, thanks.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-rt-on-off-road-rugged-terrain-tires

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can't really speak from personal experience, but a friend of mine has them on his Jeep and they are LOUD when it comes to road noise. I test drove a Jeep before buying mine a few weeks ago that had Toyos on it, and the road noise from it was more than I could take.
I have the Fuel MT's on my JK, and have been very pleased with the ride and the minimal road noise. I've been a Nitto guy for many years, so I would recommend looking at either the Fuel or the Nitto's if you want a quieter ride.
Best of luck in your search!
thats really weird because my 35" R/Ts are really quiet compared to alot of other MTs ive experienced.

the R/Ts in mud havent impressed me but aired down on the rocks theyve been good, they are wearing well, i ran them way to high on the pressure for the first few thousand miles its cuasing the middle to wear a little faster but ive since lowered the pressure and fixed the problem. I just rotated them a few days ago although they dont look like they need it, all 4 seem to be wearing the same

Windows Photo Viewer Wallpaper.jpg

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
thats really weird because my 35" R/Ts are really quiet compared to alot of other MTs ive experienced.

the R/Ts in mud havent impressed me but aired down on the rocks theyve been good, they are wearing well, i ran them way to high on the pressure for the first few thousand miles its cuasing the middle to wear a little faster but ive since lowered the pressure and fixed the problem. I just rotated them a few days ago although they dont look like they need it, all 4 seem to be wearing the same

View attachment 2969001
Your Jeep doesn't look like there is any lift on it...

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
No, the picture you posted, must have been after 35" tires and before lift was installed.
the 35s came after the lift... i guess because im on a slight forward down slope in the picture?? but you can see the shocks i got with the lift in that picture. it was definitely lifted when i took that picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts