Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped the wheels and tires off of the wife's 15 JKUR onto my 09 JKR. Got a few miles in and the tire light is going off. Any reason the TPM sensors are not being read by the 09?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I believe that they changed frequency for the radios in the TPMS sensors somewhere in between those two years. You'd have to either move your old sensors over to her wheels, or disable the TPMS system with something like the FlashCal or AEV Procal.

·
Registered
910 Posts
different frequencies

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great.... Thanks. Been thinking about a ProCal for a while. Might just pull the trigger.
Double check and make sure procal has this option...don't personally know much about the procal but I do know that a Superchips flashcal does not. You have to upgrade to the more expensive flashpaq to get this option.
However, maybe with a procal you can lower the psi setting to keep the light off, like I said I have no experience with procal. Point being, make sure before you invest in a programmer that it has the ability to solve this issue for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting to read this this morning. My wife's 17 JKU found a roofing nail in the passenger rear tire a couple days ago. She hasn't had time to take it to town so we've been watching it.

Here's the interesting part. Her drivers rear TPMS was indicating the low pressure, not the one low. She added air last night to the passenger rear, hand gauge was it was at 18 but the monitor indicated 30. The drivers rear was at 18 (at least it was accurate). Once she inflated the passenger rear, the drivers rear TPMS showed 30.

I was under the impression the Jeep knew where what was.

Forgot to mention: 295/60/20 Nitto G2 and adjusted TPMS with FlashCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Double check and make sure procal has this option...don't personally know much about the procal but I do know that a Superchips flashcal does not. You have to upgrade to the more expensive flashpaq to get this option.
However, maybe with a procal you can lower the psi setting to keep the light off, like I said I have no experience with procal. Point being, make sure before you invest in a programmer that it has the ability to solve this issue for you.
Yes, ProCal has a Low Tire Pressure Threshold settings. I set mine all the way to zero when I got my aftermarket Wheels/Tires without TPMS. :happyyes:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Interesting to read this this morning. My wife's 17 JKU found a roofing nail in the passenger rear tire a couple days ago. She hasn't had time to take it to town so we've been watching it.

Here's the interesting part. Her drivers rear TPMS was indicating the low pressure, not the one low. She added air last night to the passenger rear, hand gauge was it was at 18 but the monitor indicated 30. The drivers rear was at 18 (at least it was accurate). Once she inflated the passenger rear, the drivers rear TPMS showed 30.

I was under the impression the Jeep knew where what was.

Forgot to mention: 295/60/20 Nitto G2 and adjusted TPMS with FlashCal.

The computer is supposed to know each tire location, except the spare, for JK's that have TPMS with individual pressure read outs. There are 3 sensors which are supposed to relay the tire location. There's no 4th sensor because the computer recognizes the remaining tire due to the process of elimination. There must be a glitch. Since you're under warranty you can have the dealer reprogram the TPMS with their Starscan through the OBD port. That might take care of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The computer is supposed to know each tire location, except the spare, for JK's that have TPMS with individual pressure read outs. There are 3 sensors which are supposed to relay the tire location. There's no 4th sensor because the computer recognizes the remaining tire due to the process of elimination. There must be a glitch. Since you're under warranty you can have the dealer reprogram the TPMS with their Starscan through the OBD port. That might take care of it.

Thanks.

I'm gonna return it to stock with the FlashCal and see if it helps. If not, I'll probably bring it in and see what's up.

My JKUHR passenger front usually goes out, usually 5 minutes after driving and cold weather, and comes back on after about 20 minutes. I assumed it was a cheap sensor put in by the shop that put my wheels on but mine has the TrailCal... I wonder if the programmers are affecting it.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Any idea when the change? My friend put his 2010 wheels on his 2015 and has no problems.
Had to change mine going from 2010 to 2014 -

Found them for ~$50-$60 online for 5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited. About 2 1/2 years ago my TPM lights started to go off. We found a nail and a tire and fixed it. The TPM lights started to go off again a few days later (it is random, goes off every few seconds for an hour, then not for 24 hours, then every few seconds for 15 minutes, then none for an hour of driving). Went back to Les Schwabs. They figured that my sensors were old (dead batteries). So, I paid $300 for new sensors. The TPM stayed off for a week, then started to come back on. I made several more trips to Les Schwab. I bought all new tires (was going to anyway). The TPM would say off for a week, then come back on. I had Les Schwab check it while it was going off and they showed all wheel sensors working correctly, but the main computer not working right. I took it to the Jeep Dealer (which is very hard for me to do, due to having to be at work in another town). They kept it all day and said that it never went off in their garage. I drove it home and it went off continuously for 1 hour. I took it back. They kept it for a day and drove it. I picked it up and they said it only went off once and they didn't catch it so, they said they couldn't fix something that wasn't broken. It went off continuously (every 2-3 seconds) all the way home. They said to bring it back in if it went off again. I drove it back when it was going off every few seconds. I left it running. It took them 10 minutes to bring it into the garage and of course, it never went off once for them. I decided to by a AEV Procal (used). I was planning on turning off the damn TPMS. However, the AEV does not work (4 flashes followed by 2) and I suspect the previous user didn't reset it. So, this has gone on for over two years and I'm at my wits end. I want to sell the wrangler (bought a Landrover Defender) but I can't sell it with this unresolved problem. Any ideas about what I can do? Thanks

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited. About 2 1/2 years ago my TPM lights started to go off. We found a nail and a tire and fixed it. The TPM lights started to go off again a few days later (it is random, goes off every few seconds for an hour, then not for 24 hours, then every few seconds for 15 minutes, then none for an hour of driving). Went back to Les Schwabs. They figured that my sensors were old (dead batteries). So, I paid $300 for new sensors. The TPM stayed off for a week, then started to come back on. I made several more trips to Les Schwab. I bought all new tires (was going to anyway). The TPM would say off for a week, then come back on. I had Les Schwab check it while it was going off and they showed all wheel sensors working correctly, but the main computer not working right. I took it to the Jeep Dealer (which is very hard for me to do, due to having to be at work in another town). They kept it all day and said that it never went off in their garage. I drove it home and it went off continuously for 1 hour. I took it back. They kept it for a day and drove it. I picked it up and they said it only went off once and they didn't catch it so, they said they couldn't fix something that wasn't broken. It went off continuously (every 2-3 seconds) all the way home. They said to bring it back in if it went off again. I drove it back when it was going off every few seconds. I left it running. It took them 10 minutes to bring it into the garage and of course, it never went off once for them. I decided to by a AEV Procal (used). I was planning on turning off the damn TPMS. However, the AEV does not work (4 flashes followed by 2) and I suspect the previous user didn't reset it. So, this has gone on for over two years and I'm at my wits end. I want to sell the wrangler (bought a Landrover Defender) but I can't sell it with this unresolved problem. Any ideas about what I can do? Thanks
I'm not going to tell you to get a new Procal and set it to zero. That could be an issue when you sell it. There have been known problems with 08 JK Wireless Control Modules, which the TPMS feeds through. That's most likely the problem. Plus, if the pressure listed on the door jamb isn't maintained the TPMS light will activate if the pressure goes approx. 3-5 lbs. under. I'm assuming that there isn't a pressure problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I mentioned a while ago about my wife's TPMS in her '17 JKU Sahara. Her readings for the rear tires are swapped. I tested this by inflating her tires while she sat inside watching... inflate passenger rear, driver rear changed. Deflated driver read, passenger rear changed. As I mentioned, I used the Flashcal to adjust TPMS settings. I called Superchips to ask about any possible known software bugs and the dude told me it's because I didn't have the dealer reset my tire locations. I highly doubt every Jeep owner visits their dealer to "reset" their TPMS after ever rotation... next excuse. I reset her Jeep to stock and will have the dealer reflash her computer when she goes in for the first oil change (the free part is the only reason they're doing it). It might be a Jeep issue but I suspect the Flashcal software is a factor. I have the TrailCal and have TPMS issues as well..... mysteriously after I adjusted my TPMS. I spent way too much on these to inject faults into my Jeeps.

Has anyone else had BS from Superchips? It's my first interaction. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts