Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2013 JKU for my 18 year old daughter from one of my best friends. The JKU has about 50,000 miles and was customized with a lift, 34" tires and 22" wheels. We bought a few weeks ago knowing I needed to put some new tires on it soon. My daughter put about 500 miles on it with no issues and I decided to go ahead and get the new tires before she goes off to college.

The tire pressure light on the dash came on a day or so after installing the new tires. Checked the tire pressure on all 5 tires and all was good. Took it back to the tire shop and they reset the light (yes they were surprised they could reset it because they even knew that normally you have to drive it for 10 minutes or so for it to reset). It stayed off for about 20 miles then was right back on. I then took it to a different tire shop (because mine was closed), they checked the sensors in all 5 tires and they all were shows the sensors were transmitting and the batteries were ok.

So this week, we were going out of town so I left it at my tire shop again and they reset the light and reprogrammed the sensors and drove it a couple of days. They thought they had it fixed all though they were puzzles why they could reset the light without driving it. I picked it up this afternoon and drove about 20 miles and the light is back on.

If this was my jeep I wouldn't worry about it but since it is my 18 year old daughters, I would really like to get it back working before she is running the roads back and forth to college.

I did buy a programmer and adjusted the psi threshold when the light should come on and that didn't help either.

Anyone seen this behavior before and have any idea what I should try to fix it?

Thanks for your help .

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Are the tire sensors the same ones that were int the wheels before the new tires were installed?

I am assuming you don't have the EVIC which shows the individual pressure for each of the four tires on the ground, just a light that is to indicate an issue with one of the four tires. The transmitter in the spare tire is not detected as the sensors are at the wheels.

If new transmitters were installed, what frequency are they transmitting on?

You many have one sensor not reading.

Note that I use the term transmitter for the unit in the wheel, while the official description is "sensor" because while it senses the TP, it then transmits to a sensor near the tire.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,232 Posts
I too have this problem. Mine started after I did the first tire rotation on my new tires after 1500 or so miles. The TPMS is set to the tire pressure I run, and the sensors/transmitters are all working and transmitting the correct data but the TPMS warning light flashes for 30 seconds and then stays lit.

I have taken to eyeballing my tires and periodically checking that the pressure is OK. Sometimes the old fashioned approach is the best.

Who knows. Next tire rotation might mysteriously fix the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the tire sensors the same ones that were int the wheels before the new tires were installed?

I am assuming you don't have the EVIC which shows the individual pressure for each of the four tires on the ground, just a light that is to indicate an issue with one of the four tires. The transmitter in the spare tire is not detected as the sensors are at the wheels.

If new transmitters were installed, what frequency are they transmitting on?

You many have one sensor not reading.

Note that I use the term transmitter for the unit in the wheel, while the official description is "sensor" because while it senses the TP, it then transmits to a sensor near the tire.
Same tire sensors and the exact same tires that were on it before. This JKU does not show individual tire readings.

I have no idea what to try next?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Look for codes, there may be an issue with the TPMS system.
Make sure the tires are all up to a high enough pressure to turn the light off.
I am not sure how they are "resetting the light" Typically you just have to drive it for a while until it picks up the transmitters / sensors in their new locations. No resetting required.
You can try disconnecting the battery to reset the entire system. But it sounds like the system is trying to tell you there is a problem. The light could mean a low pressure reading, or it could mean a fault in the system.
By the way, on my Chevy Colorado I have a problem with the TPMS system. One out of the four tires reads low. The pressure is right, and in this case I believe the transmitter / sensor is sending the right signal (because when I rotate the tires that one reads correct in another location), so it looks to be an issue with the receiver. I can see what is going on because it shows the four tire pressures. But if I had the simple system you have all I would get is the light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look for codes, there may be an issue with the TPMS system.
Make sure the tires are all up to a high enough pressure to turn the light off.
I am not sure how they are "resetting the light" Typically you just have to drive it for a while until it picks up the transmitters / sensors in their new locations. No resetting required.
You can try disconnecting the battery to reset the entire system. But it sounds like the system is trying to tell you there is a problem. The light could mean a low pressure reading, or it could mean a fault in the system.
By the way, on my Chevy Colorado I have a problem with the TPMS system. One out of the four tires reads low. The pressure is right, and in this case I believe the transmitter / sensor is sending the right signal (because when I rotate the tires that one reads correct in another location), so it looks to be an issue with the receiver. I can see what is going on because it shows the four tire pressures. But if I had the simple system you have all I would get is the light.
No error codes are showing up. My tire dealer also thought it was strange that he could reset the light, said he hasn't ever been able to do that on other jeeps. I have also tried disconnecting the battery and no luck there either.

I spoke with my tire dealer today and I am going to purchase new sensors and he is going to replace all of them for free. Hopefully that takes care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts