Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help or direction on troubleshooting why only 3 wheels display PSI in EVIC TPMS display. Front passenger is blank after rotation or any tire in that location. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
How old is the vehicle? Most tpms sensors last 7 to 10 years. The same thing happened last year on my 2008 truck when I had the tires rotated. Ended up replacing all four sensors as the batteries themselves are not replaceable. Just be sure to get the ones specific to your vehicle as there are different frequencies for different models and years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Similar happened to me. After 5 tire rotation I lost left front. Turns out because left front went on spare carrier and spare had dead battery. The psi and id of sensor picks up really quick. The location never corrected until I replaced the bad sensor. Needed 4 good sensors to get location correctly.

Try inflate,deflate and monitor dash to see which tire is responding . Write down location. You’ll find the bad one.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
It sounds like the OP said that the left front doesn't work no matter what tire is in that spot. That would say it isn't a bad sensor, as long as he is driving it long enough for the sensor to be picked up. It could be an issue with the receiver in that corner.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
FWIW, there is only one TPMS receiver that serves all four wheels.. It's located on the rear cross member.

See post 18,19 and 20 in this thread--> https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/service-tpm-system-2076505.html#post30793313

How a single receiver can tell where each wheel is mounted is beyond me. This TPMS business is probably one of the most confusing aspects of modern vehicles :)
There is one head unit and three separate remote receivers / antenna's, one each at three of the four wheel locations.. The fourth tire is figured out by process of elimination.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. It’s been like that for a year, I hope to fix it, but need to find some logical troubleshooting steps.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is one head unit and three separate remote receivers / antenna's, one each at three of the four wheel locations.. The fourth tire is figured out by process of elimination.
Any idea on what 3 wheels the remote receivers are at and what they look like?

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Any idea on what 3 wheels the remote receivers are at and what they look like?
Off hand I do not have any pictures of what they look like. But this thread has a great description of how the two versions of the system work (the base system is simpler that the four tire readout EVIC system)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2013-tpms-how-it-works-1570105.html

This thread also has great info about it
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/how-does-tpms-know-which-tire-is-in-which-location-1872865.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts