Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at upgrading wheels and tires. I notice the price to get the TPMS sensor in the new tires is around $40 per tire. That seems pretty expensive to me.

Now I check my tire pressure monthly so I really have no use for a little idiot light that comes on when I have a tire with low pressure.

If I get the new tires without the sensors, will the idiot light be constantly on? If so is there any way to disable it? No big deal but I hate having some yellow light on all the time catching my eye.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Yes the idiot lite will stay on. No biggie.

If you must, it can be disabled with the aev procal.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
It will ding, blink for 75 seconds, then remain on. The alternative is to buy an AEV ProCal and set the TPMS to 0. You can also transfer the ones you have now to the new wheels.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You should be able to move the sensors over from the old set to the new.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will ding, blink for 75 seconds, then remain on. The alternative is to buy an AEV ProCal and set the TPMS to 0. You can also transfer the ones you have now to the new wheels.
Can they be removed from the old tires without taking them off of the wheels?

Also, I am most likely ordering online. I'm assuming the sensor have to be installed when the new tire is mounted to the rim? So if I get the tires already mounted on the rims I am out of luck - correct?

·
Registered
173 Posts
ShoreWrangler said:

Also, I am most likely ordering online. I'm assuming the sensor have to be installed when the new tire is mounted to the rim? So if I get the tires already mounted on the rims I am out of luck - correct?
You have to have the tires off the rim in order to get the sensors out-and the same for installing them. If you check your pressures, it's no biggie. I have toms and still check them weekly.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts

The tires have to copme off the wheels to install them. If you buy the tires already mounted, they will have to be re-mounted.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Depending on how much it costs you to move the sensors to the new tires, the procal can be cheaper.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending on how much it costs you to move the sensors to the new tires, the procal can be cheaper.
The only way I could move the sensors would be to have the old tire de-mounted, then re-mounted. then have the new mail-order tires go through the same process. Obviously this is way too much work and $$$

The other option is to pay rougly $40 per tire to have the tpms sensors installed. I want to sell the stock set, so probably get more money for them if they still have the tpms sensors anyway. So looking at $200 to do it this way.

Then the third option is the procal, which as you state, winds up being cheaper at $150. Seems like it may have some other uses as well. I may wind up going this route. Still sucks to add another $150 onto a wheel/tire set that is approching $2 grand anyway :eek: ouch!

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
The only way I could move the sensors would be to have the old tire de-mounted, then re-mounted. then have the new mail-order tires go through the same process. Obviously this is way too much work and $$$

The other option is to pay rougly $40 per tire to have the tpms sensors installed. I want to sell the stock set, so probably get more money for them if they still have the tpms sensors anyway. So looking at $200 to do it this way.

Then the third option is the procal, which as you state, winds up being cheaper at $150. Seems like it may have some other uses as well. I may wind up going this route. Still sucks to add another $150 onto a wheel/tire set that is approching $2 grand anyway :eek: ouch!
Yes, the procal has other functions as well such as setting the trans up for larger tires (don't know if you have an auto or manual), higher RPM setup for running a winch, daytime running lites, and a blinker 3 blink/bump option. Not sure how much any of that matters to your situation.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Yes, the procal has other functions as well such as setting the trans up for larger tires (don't know if you have an auto or manual), higher RPM setup for running a winch, daytime running lites, and a blinker 3 blink/bump option. Not sure how much any of that matters to your situation.
And recalibrating your speedometer for your new tires, which is worth it's cost alone, IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Dammit, as soon as I saw you had posted I thought "Crap, forgot that it recals the speedo" before I even read your post. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Dammit, as soon as I saw you had posted I thought "Crap, forgot that it recals the speedo" before I even read your post. :banghead:
Yeah, but we all know YOU know. :thumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not to get too far OT-don't your guys dealers reset the speedo if you stop in? We do all the time-takes 10 min.
Also-I dont know that keeping the factory tpms in the tires add value-the next customer has to go to a dealer to have their car read the signal from the new sensors. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Go to the dealer? Where's the fun in that? :whistling:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Not to get too far OT-don't your guys dealers reset the speedo if you stop in? We do all the time-takes 10 min.
Also-I dont know that keeping the factory tpms in the tires add value-the next customer has to go to a dealer to have their car read the signal from the new sensors. Just a thought.
Dealers have the technology, but not necessarily the willingness. There are a lot of stories of dealers that either want exorbitant fees to recal ($100+) or will refuse to recal for any non-stock tire size. But still, it might be worth a phone call to the closest dealers to see.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You could get the dealer to do it, yeah. Or even the tire shop. But a lot of us don't rely on the dealer for even routine maintenance, and the Procal does several other things that are essentially dictated by individual choice.

There are also problems with some tire shops and dealers who refuse to mount tires on certain rims, remove your TPMS sensors, or put anything but the factory recommended PSI in your tires. Easier to avoid all this and do it yourself, IMO.

As for the TPMS sensors in the tire, I agree 100%. I took mine outta my stock tires before I sold them (to my dealership, who said they'd rather have em without, anyway...to make $$...I don't know). I'd recommend selling the sensors separately on CL or Ebay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Huh? I got a set of take offs from someone else with the TPMS in place. Didn't need see the dealer. Just put them on and they worked.......

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would assume if you bought my take offs for another Wrangler they would work just fine with the TPMS system without any trips to the dealer. If bought for another type of vehicle you may be right. But then again this is all new to me... :confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow do you mean that we can't reset our own TPMS? I have a GMC Sierra that has TPMS and I called GMC customer service and they walked me through reset the TPMS. I would think Chrysler/Jeep would have the same service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts